Untitled game about slicing robots in half with a fire sword

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by sitebender, Jun 24, 2019.

1. sitebender

sitebender Member

ATTENTION GETTING IMAGE

[​IMG]

This is an untitled game about slicing robots in half with a fire sword.

It's been in production 2 months. There's just not much to show as the game is full of placeholder art outside of these screenshots for now, but the little details will get done. Things like conveyor belts, magnets, and a variety of tilesets still need to have art.

This game is more about the feel. How it feels to run, jump off walls up a chamber and hang off the ledge of a moving platform while a giant robot looks down at you ready to punch you. How it feels to slash that and any robot in half with sparks, pieces and explosions flying.

Levels will dive you under water, launch you through the air, propel you through tunnels, send you falling down shafts, and let you face off against dangerous robots in a challenging, but fun experience.

The screenshots should speak for themselves

WHAT THE GAME ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MORE SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Cpaz, IndianaBones, Apapappa and 12 others like this.
  2. Deadly Serious Media

Deadly Serious Media Member

Love it! Looks like it has a good feel to it and I can't wait to see more!

sitebender likes this.
  3. ckelsallpixels

ckelsallpixels Member

I love the attention to detail you've already got at this stage, like what you've got happening with the clouds. All the animations are very smooth and the art style's nice and clean - what to expect as you polish the game is a more varied tileset, much as you've done a good job of breaking its monotony with some foliage. Kudos to your artist, they've done a fantastic job overall, especially the background!

Looking forward to see more later down the line! :)

sitebender likes this.
  4. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

the game mechanics looks EXCELLENT! You said you're using placeholder graphics so I wont comment on the visuals ....yet!

sitebender likes this.
  5. sitebender

sitebender Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm hoping there will be more tile sets in the next few months to make the stages look different, even if they have a lot of different mechanics like magnets, turbines, water, secrets and other challenges good to go. While there's nothing new to show art wise at this moment, since the artist is working on a pub hub, I figured I'd show off some other stuff that was made a month or so ago.

Patrollers are a weak enemy, they patrol areas. They're not out to harm you, that's just a coincidence. After all, if you were to get hit by a rolling robot, it would probably hurt. So they're an obstacle, but you can still destroy them as you wish, but these happy helpers react when one of their comrades is slaughtered by some jerk with a fire sword:

[​IMG]

6. DavideMiccolis

DavideMiccolis Member

wow!

sitebender likes this.
  7. sitebender

sitebender Member

Nothing fresh to show, other than I spent a few days adding bloom. It's quite a burden on the game as the surface_reset() takes a large majority of the processing power despite a low resolution.

No new level this week as tweaking level six took a while and there's just not enough new content to make a seventh level, even if there's a huge to do list to make 3 or 4 cool levels from level mechanics that haven't been added yet.

This image below has a lot of things going in it. Bloom, wall jumps, explosive barrels, ledge clings, slicing boxes.

Is it too much bloom?

[​IMG]

8. sitebender

sitebender Member

EXPLOSIVE ALLEY

Finished making a seventh demo level called Explosive Alley and it's full of explosive barrels to destroy blocks, hover mines that explode a second later, and rocket blocks that blast off into the air. Here's the grand crescendo moment of the level, a wall jumping speed segment up a destructible wall full of hover mines. It's probably a bit too brutal for a keyboard to make it into whatever final game we make out of this. Since these are just 4 minute levels to demonstrate mechanics, the other areas are much more easy and safe.

[​IMG]

Other than that, our main character has all new animations. She carries the sword higher when she runs and she has a dazzling new yellow belt that I'm certain you noticed despite all the yellow sparks and debris exploding everywhere.

NEW FOES

There are thankfully new enemies to keep these demo levels rocking with a variety of danger. After having the same six types of foes, these new foes are a welcome addition. Two of those six enemies were cannons and turrets, which do help the gameplay since the player can deflect their projectiles and these projectiles can damage foes and flip switches Another cool new addition is the electrified enemy setting. In the past there were a few foes that were electrified meaning when you attack them, you get hurt. Now there's a setting to make any enemy electrified or not. It should be very useful.

DIALOG BOXES... LOTS OF DIALOG BOXES

Since there's been surprising interest from publishers we've heard of, it's probably time to get the game into an easier to understand state. Having some of my friends go through this game as they've gone through my previous games, they've been confused at certain sections, so I've added letter blocks to help the process, but that's hardly a solution like actual dialog boxes are. There are three types, ones that spring open when you go over or below them, others that open when you touch them, and the final type where you press and hold up to read it. There's no actual graphic beyond a colored box to represent these dialog box triggers.

9. Gravityhamster48

Gravityhamster48 Member

It's... so... pretty!!!!!!!! Everything looks like it has such an impact to it! Did you make all that pixel art yourself? It's simply gorgeous!... and I thought mine was pretty decent. XD

sitebender likes this.
  10. Bentley

Bentley Member

WOW. Amazing job. I just love everything: the art, the gameplay, the effects. Incredible.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    sitebender likes this.
  11. sitebender

sitebender Member

Thanks. There is a dedicated artist. Your art is dazzling.

You can view more art here: https://twitter.com/pixelangell

Or follow the game's progress here: https://twitter.com/DrinkingNails

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Gravityhamster48 likes this.
  12. sitebender

sitebender Member

[​IMG]

More art, retouched art. More enemy sprites so new enemies will be coming. Doors and checkpoints have grander art. Same environment theme.

I did the weekly inventory of levels, where I force myself to play through all 7 demo levels to see if it still feels good despite getting longer. The entire game still feels good, with the exception of the first two levels which are a bit more basic, vacant (lacking enemies) and let players get a feel for everything. They don't really show off some of the level mechanics or combat that well compared to other levels. I will change them as the demo levels get touched up to add more flash to the early parts of the game.

Levels constantly get tweaked and now the visuals are getting tweaked, there are more background walls to give areas some texture. Secrets get added here and there.

KEEP IT A SECRET

There are now secret levels and secret exits that take the player to those levels. Not that there are secret levels yet. At the moment, all levels are played in succession, but there are now normal exits which will jump the player ahead by 2 levels, thus skipping any secret level between them. Beyond those secrets, I've been adding segments made for Twitter to be secret segments of demo levels. It's a good way to flesh out the levels, even if some of them takes me 4 minutes to speed run and that's already enough time.

COMBAT SPAWNS

Combat has been getting tweaked and there's not that much combat in these demo levels. To experiment with breaking up the fact that these levels are like 90% traversal, enemy rooms have been added. These rooms flood with enemies that teleport in. Flood as in a maximum of six foes as I'm not a monster. There's one room in particular that could make its own mini game as giant robots fall from the ceiling faster and faster. The room maxes out at 12 robots, since you're supposed to win and not go infinitely. In the future, I can imagine each of these demo levels getting their own enemy room with different types of foes.

Flashes of white for damage and low health are getting tweaked to be quicker so the player doesn't literally get lost among all the white flashes. Excessive explosions that cover the player now dim to not obscure the star of the game. This goes back to the old shmup rule of "the player can never be obstructed."

RefresherTowel likes this.
  13. sitebender

sitebender Member

Most of the week was tweaks and ensuring that things run well enough to get all the way through. Thanks to someone on the forum for helping with the shader. I'd point out your name, but you might get a flood of other requests for aide. The bloom is still a bit much, but it will all get tweaked in time. At least now it runs at 60 fps rather than 30 or 60 depending on how the game feels.

[​IMG]

Now that the game has secret courses, I've been dumping some of the Twitter demonstrations into secret levels. I feel like a lot of them are too difficult and elaborate to be in the mainstream trails of the game, but they're perfect to stumble upon.

HERMITURRETS

[​IMG]

Well... they shoot and they're metal hermit crabs. Hermiturrets are the most complex foe in the game, which isn't saying much, because several of the enemies are quite basic, but more versatile. While they're still a work in progress, these metal crabs shoot four bullets before walking again. When you approach them from the front, they retreat to their shells where they're invulnerable. If they're ever in the air, which is rare, they will retreat as well until their shell hits the ground. The only way to defeat them is attacking from behind, but when they take damage, they hide in their shell once their stun animation is triggered. So you need to kill them before they retreat, otherwise it consumes more time, because they won't come out of their shell until you're far enough away.

Since these hermiturrets fire vertical bullets, there's a new way to deflect the bullets, in different directions. Originally, all projectiles could get sword deflected back where they came from, but this doesn't make sense with vertical projectiles as you're facing left or right when you hit them. You can still leap into the air and down slash them to send them back down. Every bullet deflected goes faster and can affect objects like barrels. Foes can shoot through barrels as it's not shooting through, it's shooting by or past. Barrels are more cover objects for foes to give the player a tougher terrain to navigate. With that said, projectiles can still hit switches to make for some interesting game play.

Apapappa and pixeltroid like this.
  14. Cpaz

Cpaz Member

Holy crap, I love the sprite work here! It looks smooth to play too. I'll be keeping tabs on this one!

sitebender likes this.
  15. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

excellent work
    Wow...really excellent work!
    You are putting in so much thought into all of this! :O Very inspiring!

sitebender likes this.
  16. sitebender

sitebender Member

I am happy to be an inspiration.

I wanted a mechanical turtle that could launch things at an arc out of its shell and didn't have to move. What I got was a metal hermit crab that can really only launch things upward judging from the chimney cannon. That's another idea... chimney smoke coming out of it. Anyway, even a bit restricted to crawling and shooting, it's still a useful enemy as there was nothing really that shot upward. I'd like to have them hang from the ceiling too, but I spent enough time on it yesterday.

The crab has a hurt animation, but the big question is how do you hurt something that hides in a shell and why it hides in its shell and so many more things to think about when I hear "here's your crab." So it's the artist going above and beyond. On the plus side, hermit crabs fit in less space than turtles would have.

Crabs were a 6+ hour process that I mostly programmed to have something fresh to show off for Twitter. That 6+ hours even with a lot of stuff done in the parent object and copy + pasting from the hulker, turrets, and patroller enemies.

If anyone else needs a closer look at the crabs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    pixeltroid likes this.
  17. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Very cool stuff.

Speaking of crustaceans...did you know there's a species called the "pistol shrimp" that creates a "sonic boom" by using nothing but its claw? It actually uses it to attack prey!

Maybe this video might inspire you for another crustacean enemy design? :D

If the robot crab can only launch things upwards, then maybe his friend, the robot shrimp shoots sonic blasts directly towards the player? Just a thought!

sitebender likes this.
  18. sitebender

sitebender Member

We will keep the pistol shrimp in mind as an enemy. I have a few ideas for it myself. In the meantime, I'm getting caught up with what the artist has given me.

TUMBLERS

[​IMG]

These fun new foes are replacements for an older, more basic, day one sort of enemy. The tumbler picks up speed and chases after the player so in the long run, they will catch up. They cannot be destroyed, instead, they can only be knocked back where they are stunned for half a second. It's tricky to even hit them as they bounce, but jumping and then attacking will work wonders. When you think your safe standing atop a higher ledge, they can climb, even if it takes them half a second to adapt to the new height. When a player leaves the screen after activating them, they stay active, so the player cannot truly outrun them. Nor can the player dodge them and send them out of the room as now enemies will not leave the room.

Tumblers have already made previous levels more fun and dangerous, just by replacing earlier versions, which was a mini, electrified leaper that would fill enemy pits.

DOZENS OF TWEAKS

Beyond that, updates have been sparse and it's been mostly tweaking and enhancing what's already there to experiment.
    - Easy pogo, jump and hold down (can be toggled in the settings and doesn't work for projectiles)
    - Base no wall jump (if you're at the base of a wall, you won't wall jump)
    - Ledge, no grab jump (if you're almost at the top of a ledge, instead of waiting to ledge grab then jump, you can just jump)
    - Slash dash (hold forward and attack, it will drive your forward with your slash)
    - Hulker punch is faster and suddenly they're far more threatening
    - Slower than a pixel (everything still moves in pixels, but now things can move every X frames to give the illusion of slower movement)
    - Enemies cannot leave the room (it was still cool seeing stray foes come with the player)
    - Fun seeking hover mines have a longer range to get set off and a smaller explosion radius. Fixed the look of the damage representation.
    - Patrollers no longer shock when angry as they're just a simple fodder enemy, but thanks to shock squares, any foe can become electrified.
    - Checkpoints take 3 hits to ignite (which is more satisfying, while costing time)
    - Player's speed increase is thankfully back to normal so it doesn't look like running on ice for a split second

Even these tweaks need tweaking, but this is all I can remember off the top of my head.

* EDIT for a later update *

DAZZLE TO DIFFICULTY

With Twitter, I've tried to dazzle and show off with some challenging mini courses. I assume people react better to seeing lively movement and an overwhelming difficulty overcome. I've been dumping videos of specially made challenges into a secret demonstration level. Since these are more challenging areas finding their way into the game, it's time to add difficulty levels to enemies and collectables. For the time being it's easy and under or hard difficulty and up. This way easy can have more collectables for health and well placed enemies to open secret areas, while hard can have more enemies and it too can have enemies that open secret areas.

For example, the last .gif of the tumblers and hover mines, the hover mines will only appear on harder difficulties. It's a simple and easy system like the shock squares and power squares that change properties. This should make for a more all inclusive challenge system so everyone can have fun doing the same routes rather than getting forced into easy routes, which sees less of the game.

To explain difficulties more, the higher the difficulty, the more damage you take when getting hit, like all my previous games. It also determines your lives, but there are currently infinite lives. It's a simple system that gets more complex with the difficulty properties for enemies.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019 at 1:20 PM