Design Unsure how to create a "Circular" background, if possible

J

Justin Saunders

This might be tough to explain, but here it goes!

I have a 2D game I'm working on, and I want to have rooms that let the character pan across the room, just simple use of the cameras.

However, I'm designing the backgrounds in Blender as 3D models, and rendering them as an image which is then used as the background sprite for a room, but this leads to a problem, I don't know how I would create a longer background that stretches left and right, so the player can walk across and have a camera follow the player. I need the perspective to stay consistent across the whole scene. It's tricky really. I'll upload an image to show what I mean.

The image I uploaded shows a single room, but what I would like is the possibility of a larger area you can walk around in without changing rooms for every section.

So, in summary, I need my 3D scene to be rendered as a long image, so the player can pan side to side with the camera. Let me know if you need further explanation or information :)

Attachments

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
What you want is a bit tricky - I remember the devs of some game where you used gestures to cut off body parts from enemies (Sundered, I think it was called) having a GDC talk about how they picked a fake-3D artstyle like this, with the intent of pretending to draw things on a cylinder but just scrolling them left and right. But essentially the illusion is shattered super easily and they had to settle for really rendering in 3D anyway, but now with a lot of extra trouble to accomodate for the paper cut-out artstyle.

What you could consider to have yourself an easier time:
  • Have set camera angles, and instead scale the player and NPC sprites as they move across the scene. You could have foreground objects to get a more dynamic scene. Many old games did this, especially horror games.
  • Export the scene as a 3D model and use it directly. GM has pretty bad 3D support and it's all through code, but importing 3D models is a pretty standard procedure.

J

Justin Saunders

Thanks so much for the feedback :) I might try that, I'll see, but I think what I might do instead is go with an orthographic camera view of the 3D scene, so it's all "flat" anyway. Might just save a lot of headaches. I appreciate it!

If I do make any more progress, well then that's great! But, I'll probably end up settling for an orthographic camera view haha.