• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows [Unsolved] Utility of ds_map_secure_save_buffer

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
edited!

Can someone can give me an exampe of use of : ds_map_secure_save_buffer? Is it only faster than saving a ds_map to a string then save it to a buffer?

Thx.

Last edited:

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Clearer:
1-The folder created in the the appdata/local is the name of the project.gmx right?(not the name of the .exe)

2-So if you change the name of your game/project and previously save some data you won't be able to recover it right?

3-How do you manage to...wipe/erase all files in the previously created folder if you won't use them anymore?

4-Do you code a portion to reset a save game file when you update a game?

5-Can someone can give me an exampe of use of : ds_map_secure_save_buffer? Is it only faster than saving the ds_map to a string then save it to a buffer?

6-
And about the ds_map_save_secure:
and will be encrypted and stored to a safe location on the target platform.
The safe location is the appdata/local/gamename folder? Why is it..safe here?

Bingdom

Googledom
I'd say, avoid changing your project name. Instead, just increase the version number or change the .exe name. ;)

If you really need to change directories, then:
Use file_delete to delete your old files, but make sure you copy them using file_copy to the new directory first.

'ds_map_save_secure' Only works on the system It's saved on, you cannot transfer saves. I guess that's what it means to a safe location?

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
The thing is:
file_delete:
This function will delete the specified file from the system. It should be noted that this function will only delete those files that GameMaker: Studio is able to create and parse: ini files, text files and binary files, or those files made to store game created resources like sprites or surfaces. However, it will not delete any other file.
You can't delete a saved ds_map_secure_save. (You can reset it though, by saving over it.)

Some questions still remains:

1-The folder created in the the appdata/local is the name of the project.gmx right?(not the name of the .exe) Is there other way of changing that in the IDE?

2-Do you manage to...wipe/erase all files in the previously created folder if you won't use them anymore, or perhaps leave them there, useless?

3-Do you code a portion to reset a save game file when you update a game?

4-Can someone can give me an exampe of use of : ds_map_secure_save_buffer? Is it only faster than saving the ds_map to a string then save it to a buffer?

5-And about the ds_map_save_secure:
and will be encrypted and stored to a safe location on the target platform.
The safe location is the appdata/local/gamename folder? Why is it..safe here?

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Recap...

1-Can you change the name of the game (Folder that will appear on the appdata/local) in an other way than changing the project name?

2-A quick example of use of ds_map_secure_save_buffer?

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
OP edited.

Can someone can give me an exampe of use of : ds_map_secure_save_buffer? Is it only faster than saving a ds_map to a string then save it to a buffer?

Bingdom

Googledom
There are a couple more functions that are undocumented. Functions like action_potential_step() (I heard someone on the forums to never use it). I think it's just a way how game maker handles certain functions (like game maker would automatically use 'ds_map_secure_save_buffer' in the process of using 'ds_map_secure_save'), and it's probably something you don't need to worry about. ;)