• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Unexplained momentary FPS drops when changing rooms

obscene

I'm encountering this issue suddenly in a few rooms. It seems to happen in certain rooms but not with any particular characteristics I can pin down, and it does NOT occur consistently but maybe half the time.

As pictured, the FPS drops considerably... then after a few seconds (sometimes 1, sometimes 4 or 5) it returns to normal.

Image2.png

During this time, there is no change in swaps, in RAM, in the number of instances / particles / etc. I can't seem to relate it to anything that is happening in my game. It seems the workload does not change but either GM or my computer's ability to handle that work load somehow changes.

Ideas?

EDIT: It seems that this may be related to Anti-aliasing. When I use 8x AA, this happens as explained above. Lower settings seem to consistently prevent this problem from occurring at all. So wtf?

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
First of all profile to see what is happening in that timeframe using the debugger - this may well help pinpoint what is happening.

It sounds like (from your description with the AA settings) that it is related to graphics rendering though so it may well be driver related (but that is conjecture at this time) - but eliminating a CPU / GML level issue would be my first path to work out what is happening.

Russell