• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Understanding the "Included Files" folder

J

JoltJab

So from my understanding of the help docs, the "Included Files" folder on the resource tree can take external files and put them within the executable when the game is created.(correct me if I'm wrong here)

So knowing this, I created a buffer and saved it to a file, and put that file in the "Included Files" folder. The problem now is I can't figure out how to access that file. It's probably super easy and I'm just being dumb, but I could use the help if anyone knows.

Also, when you have a file put into the "Included Files" folder, is the reference file still needed? If it is, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

F

frumple

Literally just acces the file. Put the filename in quotes or double quotes like this "filename.ext". If you write to the file, it will be saved in the local/storage folder on the OS. The original, included file will remain unchanged in the read-only folder.

J

JoltJab

oh dang. you're right! I could have sworn I tried to do that. Thanks frumple!