1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

GMS 2 Undefined variable that IS defined

Discussion in 'Programming' started by William Garrison, Dec 1, 2019.

1. William Garrison

William Garrison Member

Error:
    Undefined variable 'door1' referenced in room rHouse_01 in instance inst_67C21C7D's variable 'dev_what'

CREATE
    Code:
    dev_who = 0;
    dev_what = 0;
    LEFT PRESSED
    Code:
    with (dev_who) {
        dev_what = true;
    }
    VARIABLE DEFINITIONS (defined in the room are)
    dev_who = 0; (resource: set to oBoss)
    dev_what = 0; (resource: set to door1)

Basically im trying to make a simple button that I can reuse to test certain triggers in the room triggering events that fire when a false is made true.

2. Catastrophe

Catastrophe Member

Edit: nvm, looking at this again, didn't realize it was an issue with variable definitions at first

You do have a resource named door1 right? It's not oDoor1 or something? Because it will consider it a variable if it can't find the resource. E.g. I get that error if I choose a resource, and then delete that resource afterwards and build the game

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  3. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Wait, is dev_what a resource or a bool?

If a variable holds a resource, always set it to noone by default. A value of 0 is always a valid resource ID.

4. samspade

samspade Member

My guess it is a scoping issue - e.g. whatever object 0 is in your resource tree doesn't have dev_what defined. Also you shouldn't use with like that. It theoretically works but it relies on both your resource tree order and the underlying workings of game maker.

You could always run it with the debugger and see if that object has it defined.