• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Unable to open game maker studio at all?

P

Pitu

Ok I am so annoyed with this, so recently I've been trying to get the latest version of game maker studio: Free
and I downloaded the GMStudio-Installer-1.4.1757

So like I installed everything, including the GameMaker Player, but whenever I try to actually open the game maker studio application, it INSTANTANEOUSLY shuts down, i have no idea why, there is no error message, it appears sometimes on my task manager(processes) for a fraction of a second but that's it, other than that it instantly just closes on me. What do I do?

Things I've tried:
1. Restarting/Rebooting
2. Reinstalling several times
3. Deleting everything before again and again
4. Clearing out entire directory from %appdata% AND %localappdata%

I'm running out of ideas here guys, what's causing this? This is a legitimate version and all so why isn't it opening?
PS, after i install it, it usually extracts something and then says "Moving new directory" and after that it just closes over and over again if i try to open it again.

Im very sorry for bad quality video my internet is slow and i had to compress it, also forgive me if i broke any forum rules by posting here, i'm completely new.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JeZxLee

Hi,

Sorry you have problems running GameMaker:Studio free version.
The only idea I have is to check if ".NET Framework 3.5" is installed.
GameMaker:Studio unfortunately requires .NET 3.5 to run on Windows.
I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64Bit and not sure how you would install on Windows 7.
(you might need to download it from Microsoft website)
Sorry I could not help further, you have taken all of the steps I would have recommended...

P

Pitu

Hey, thanks for the response. Unfortunately that didn't change anything, I installed it from Microsoft's website, then reinstalled game maker and restarted but nothing changed :(

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
A few random thoughts...
  • Did you install the program to the default directory?
  • Is your system clock set to the correct time?

P

Pitu

No, I've manually installed it to my E:\ drive. (Both the game maker studio and game maker player)
and yes my system clock is the correct time (why? :eek:)

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
No, I've manually installed it to my E:\ drive. (Both the game maker studio and game maker player)...
Have you tried letting it install in the default location and seeing if that helps?

Also, what do you mean by "manually installed"?

...and yes my system clock is the correct time (why? :eek:)
Windows 7, 8, and 10 can have issues with apps and security sometimes if you've been fiddling around with your system clock. Don't do it!

P

Pitu

Could you please tell me the default directory's location? Because when i try to install it, it just displays the old directory i installed it to

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Uh, I believe the default location is "C:\Users\your-user-name\" (replace the red text with your own user name, and make sure C is the system drive which has your user profiles on it).

It should create its own directories from there. But don't get mad at me if it doesn't. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
P

Pitu

Hey thanks again for your reply, didn't work though :( im cursed, same problem

P

Poca

Hello,

I have the exact same problem I have tried everything you guys suggested and it's driving nuts because the program was working just fine yesterday ...

M

Mandarin Swift

Hello!

Like Poca, I'm also still having this problem despite trying all of the above including fresh re-installs of v.1.4.1657, v.1.4.1749, and v.1.4.1763 (the last of which I downloaded today) after uninstalling the old version, deleting leftover GM files in %appdata% and %localappdata% and deleting GM-related registry keys...

Any other thoughts on what I could do? I was really hoping to get back to work today and was surprised that the program just seemed to randomly stop working........ I go to start it up, it says "Preparing" for a split second and then closes, leaving only the GM Updater icon on the taskbar.

M

Mandarin Swift

Thank God - figured out what was going wrong!

(In hindsight, I probably should have thought to do this sooner, but just glad it's fixed now!)

I started having another seemingly-unrelated problem on my computer, and the answer I looked up for that was running a scan with MalwareBytes ( https://www.malwarebytes.com/ - free version works fine for it) to remove some malware that was apparently constantly muting my microphone. It found a fair number of problems to quarantine, so after it did so, I tried doing another fresh install of GameMaker-Studio via these instructions ( http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753708-How-to-perform-a-fresh-install ) and it started to work again perfectly! I've opened it, opened a project, ran it, and then closed it and the program several times and it's completely back to normal.

Thank God! ...was admittedly getting a bit concerned there! : )

G

GPS star

this only cause is your internet connection , make sure that the server has not blocked the yoyogames site , i had the same problem but only when i was using secured connection of college. use another connection. hope it'll help.