GameMaker Unable to Make Any Progress

U

uberponky

Hi there,

I'm currently following Shaun Spalding's GMS2 Youtube Series, and have run into a wall almost immediately.

I currently have a game set up that is literally just 2 objects (with associated sprites) and a room. I was busy implementing some basic movement code and had everything working fine. I made a tiny amend to one of the sprites and then the next time I tried to run the game, my character sprite no longer showed (only the walls). I then tried deleting and re-adding the character object and the next time I ran the project nothing but the background would show.

I completely stripped out all of the code and it still would not show anything other than the background when running. I have since tried downloading other projects and running them, and it still only shows a blank screen.

I tried reinstalling GMS 2 in it's entirety and redoing the project to no avail. Nothing will show other than the background.

I am completely at a loss for what I have done or how I can begin coding again. I feel like I must have pressed on some setting or it is something really simple like the run window is very zoomed in, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Does anyone have any idea what I might have done?

Regards,

Rory

***UPDATE***
I tried recreating the project a third time, everything worked fine. I must have just being doing something stupid...

At least it's working now!

Last edited by a moderator:
U

uberponky

Bump on this post, the issue has happened again on my latest project.

It all went wrong when I duplicated a sprite to make a running animation. As soon as I did this the object disappeared from my room. I tried the same with my 'wall' object and that too has now disappeared. If I create new sprites / objects, they too will not appear in the room.

I have no idea if there is something wrong with the software, whether you aren't supposed to duplicate objects, whether I'm enabling some setting via shortcut..

Any ideas what might be up?

** Update on THIS post.. if I just create a brand new project, create a sprite / object and add it into a room, it doesn't render when I run the room... I can record myself doing it if that helps.. I feel like surely something must be broken with the software at this point? I've tried re-installing to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amon

So you make a sprite, then an object, assign the sprite to the object, drag the object into the room on to one of the instance layers and then you hit run and it doesn't show the object?

S

Sybok

Do you have code in the draw event, but not specifically drawing the sprite maybe?

Any code in the draw event will stop the sprite associated to the object from drawing.

Is this GMS2 or GMS2.3? They aren't the same program. 😩
For the purposes of basic tutorials and average daily usage they are.

TheouAegis

Do you have code in the draw event, but not specifically drawing the sprite maybe?

Any code in the draw event will stop the sprite associated to the object from drawing.

Funny how a lot of posts cropping up these days are about the tutorials no longer working.

S

Sybok

Funny how a lot of posts cropping up these days are about the tutorials no longer working.
Haven‘t noticed.

Tutorials have a tendency to do that though as engines develop. It’s the same no matter what software you use.

U

uberponky

Is this GMS2 or GMS2.3? They aren't the same program. 😩
I'm using GMS 2.3

So you make a sprite, then an object, assign the sprite to the object, drag the object into the room on to one of the instance layers and then you hit run and it doesn't show the object?
Yes, I've made a video showing it happening. It's so strange, I feel like I'm just doing something incredibly stupid or missing an important step -

There is no code whatsoever in the objects, see above video.

Any idea as to what's happening? Really do apologise if I'm just being a massive noob.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Close the sprite editor and save again. There have been reports of sprites not saving and not getting into builds properly while the sprite editor is still up.

Unlike most other people my age, I kill tabs and windows as soon as I'm not using them, so this bug has largely escaped me. Having an uncluttered workspace is more productive anyways.

Slyddar

Really do apologise if I'm just being a massive noob.
It's not you at all. There is a bug in GMS2 at the moment causing that problem. That's a good demo video showing the issue too, and I'd imagine they are working on it, as it's been flagged by others as well.

U

uberponky

Hey, back again. I've managed to get back on track with the above advice, I was definitely running the project with the sprite editor open.

I have reached another hurdle however. No new sprites / objects will render, only the ones that currently exist in the project. If I create a new sprite, assign it to an object and then place that object in a room (on the same instance layer as other objects that render fine) it will not render.

It's as though the project becomes infected once you run it while the sprite editor is open, and creating new objects is impossible.

Beyond creating a brand new project each and every time I accidentally run the game while the sprite editor is open (if that is the only issue) I am totally at a loss for what to do.

U

uberponky

Fixed it.. I just pressed on 'Clean' in the menu and it has totally fixed the issue. So strange because the issue persisted even after I restarting my computer, so some value was obviously being stored that bugged new sprites, and interacting with old sprites would cause the same issue.

Glad the issue is now sorted, hope that if anyone else suffers from the same issue that they find this as it's very hard to debug when no errors are appearing in the code. If I wasn't following a tutorial I would have been convinced I was just making errors in my code.