Discussion Unable to find game error? *FIXED*

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Psycho289, May 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Psycho289

Psycho289 Member

Hello, I used to mess around with gamemaker but only recently did I seriously want to make something. However upon creating a little test project I get the error "Unable to find game!!: Game.win"

Does anyone know what causes this? I've tried restarting my PC, changing my temp folders to my other HDD, and reinstalling multiple times.

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

I've seen this issue a few times, and each time it's had a different cause and solution. So here's my suggestions based on what I've read that has worked for other people:

1) Disable any anti-virus and try again

2) Ensure that your TEMP directory is not set to a different disk than your cache directories (this can be checked form General > Paths preferences)

3) Uninstall GameMaker then go through the Program Data, local App Data, and App Data folders and delete all GMS2 related folders and files. Also check the install location of GMS2 and remove all files from there if there are any. Note that this will COMPLETELY clear all your settings from GMS, so you'll need to set it all up again for Android and other platforms, and you'll lose any custom editor settings.

Hopefully one of the above will resolve your issue. :)

3. Psycho289

Psycho289 Member

You just saved me from a miner. I checked my paths and found the temp folder was set to "C//" so I fixed it and ran into another error, CMD couldn't open the game. After a little searching I found out I had a program called SoundMixerUtility. GameMaker works perfectly now, thanks!

4. Kyrieru

Kyrieru Member

I had the same problem and came across this post. It was indeed the miner mentioned (Soundmixer, found in process explorer.)
    For anyone else who stumbles on this problem, here is a solution someone posted which removes the miner and fixes the GM problem.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Malware/co...ted/dooi2wq?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x