• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Scripts UDP Multiplayer Framework. GloomyNet

G

gloomytoad

Hello,

I have just released GloomyNet into Beta.

GloomyNet is being developed as a "base" framework that handles connections over UDP and provides you with a simplified data serialization method. My biggest goal for GloomyNet is to provide tons of documentation + tutorials showing you how to use it for various needs. I have started a Client / Server tutorial series on my channel that will show how to build a top down space shooter deathmatch game. After this series is complete I will do one on developing a Peer 2 Peer game using GNet.

In addition, I will be releasing "Modules" built on GloomyNet. For example I will include a framework for Client / Server and P2P. These will contain tools for helping with interpolation, host migration, and client-side prediction. I would like to get Lockstep running as well on the P2P side for those of you wanting to do fighting style games.

Get It Here:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/7416/gloomynet

Client / Server Tutorial Series Here:

K

Kanugane

And now, that I've been wondering about networking in GMS, you suddenly strike down us with a tutorial(s) exactly on this subject. Keep it going and thank you!

Mert

I will tell you one tip, that makes this asset sales hundreds and hundreds : Nobody likes servers made with Game Maker.

Provide a server based on C#, Python, Cpp or Java and watch your asset selling like street hotdogs

G

gloomytoad

I will tell you one tip, that makes this asset sales hundreds and hundreds : Nobody likes servers made with Game Maker.

Provide a server based on C#, Python, Cpp or Java and watch your asset selling like street hotdogs
Hehe, I have put some real thought into it not going to lie. It would take a lot of time and be very difficult. The issues is that doing that essentially means developing
GameMaker in one of those languages xD I would need to program all the physics related functions of GameMaker in another languages, and they would need
to work exactly the same way. :/

Very difficult.. but maybe one day I will give it a shot.