• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux Ubuntu Extension Support?

D

daigonite

I need to make an extension for Orca support for my game. Does anyone know about making external extensions for linux?

Also, does anyone have any history of porting their windows game to linux and any issues that may arise? Thanks.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
There's an official extension example. You can also take a look at my extension for Steam API as an example of referencing external "shared objects".

Linux generally isn't too much trouble - I think the main thing on the recent projects was that, unless there's a 1-frame delay before switching between windowed and full screen modes on game start, the game would not adapt to updated window region (be larger than window or not fill the entire screen). Other than that, users with unusual setups (distro/library versions) can have different hard-to-replicate issues with display/audio (absence of, if wrong openal version is present)/controls (mouse detecting as gamepad 0), but that is not usually something you can do anything about on the game side.

D

daigonite

Thanks man! Appreciate it. I'll look into porting it soon.