• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Type Defender (Typing game)

O.Stogden

Hey everyone,

Just here to share a small typing game I developed as a side project to take my mind off of TRF at times, it was made in about 40-50 hours or so, and was my first attempt at an HTML5 game.

The game essentially plays like a tower defense, although you have to type the words above the enemies head to defeat them before they reach your base.

There is adjustable difficulty levels depending on your typing speed, and there's separate highscore leaderboards for each difficulty and each level.

I would like to improve in my ability with HTML5, so if anyone spotted any obvious mistakes I made with this game, feel free to let me know.

Only 1 screenshot, as there's not much variation in the game really.
Screenshot 1.jpg

Known Issues:

- The text at the top of the game can "slide" depending on the size of your browser window.

Thanks for checking out the game, I hope some of you enjoy it.

O.Stogden

Thanks!

Yeah, HTML5 is interesting. It gets quite popular as people can just click and play, no download required.

It does need to be handled slightly differently to a desktop game though, particularly with regard to scaling.

K12gamer

Really good...

My score was only 1339...I'm not a fast typer...and have to look down at the keys when I type.

Have you ever played the old GameMaker game...Yoshi's Keyboard?
That too was a really good typing game. I think it came out in 2007?
Was GameMaker around that long?
Here's a Youtube video of it: LINK

O.Stogden

Really good...

My score was only 1339...I'm not a fast typer...and have to look down at the keys when I type.

Have you ever played the old GameMaker game...Yoshi's Keyboard?
That too was a really good typing game. I think it came out in 2007?
Was GameMaker around that long?
Here's a Youtube video of it: LINK
Ah cool, I haven't played it. Yes, I've been using GM since 2005, so GM has been around that long. :)

I did have ideas to make more typing games that are a bit more advanced than a tower defense, but this was just a test, it only took me a couple of weeks to make.