1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by Sabnock, Sep 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sabnock

Sabnock Member

Any chance that the tutorial section could be sub-sectioned into genres?

this would help a lot :D

2. Aura

Aura Guest

If you're talking about the Tutorials forum then the forum structure has been kept as simple as possible and I really doubt that any sub-forum would be added; because they cause confusion. You can use topic tags and prefixes, so that those topics get displayed when a certain genre is searched for.

If you're talking about the built-in tutorials, that was suggested once on the legacy GMC but the suggestion was denied because classifying tutorials on the basis of genre is a bad idea. Those tutorials are mere demonstrations of how certains functions can be used and not really engines of various genre mechanics. So I highly doubt the effectiveness of such a system.

3. Sabnock

Sabnock Member

Fair enough. it was just a random thought i had.

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

I don't think all tutorials would be classifiable into genres, either. A lot of things can be used more or less everywhere, such as data structures. E.g. you can use queues to store the turn order in a strategy game, but also use them as a list of the next bunch of obstacles in an infinite runner, or use them for a list of notes in a breadth-first search in a data matching utility. Forcing genres on the forum board would just make people not find creative approaches to problems they're looking into.