GameMaker Tutorials for making items for an rpg.

O

OriginalGrim

I'm beginning to work on an inventory system and was going to start with making some items to actually place i there but I can't really find a tutorial for doing this does anyone here know of some good ones? (I'm not sure if I should be posting this in "programming" if there was a better place than please tell me)

D

Dain42

This one by Gloomy Toad is pretty complicated, but if you can get your head round it then it's a very robust system.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
For your own good, learn about arrays and data structures already. An inventory system is nothing more than a data structure masked by a thin facade of UI elements. And as every computer science non-washout would know, anyone who fails at data structures will inevitably fail completely as a coder.

If a tutorial saves you this time, fine, but be deliberate and learn something about arrays and/or data structures from it. Read the Manual entries on data structures, get familiar with their basic operations and practice modeling other common needs. Only a princess expects the cavalry to be there every time.

O

OriginalGrim

For your own good, learn about arrays and data structures already. An inventory system is nothing more than a data structure masked by a thin facade of UI elements. And as every computer science non-washout would know, anyone who fails at data structures will inevitably fail completely as a coder.

If a tutorial saves you this time, fine, but be deliberate and learn something about arrays and/or data structures from it. Read the Manual entries on data structures, get familiar with their basic operations and practice modeling other common needs. Only a princess expects the cavalry to be there every time.
I have an easier time learning things by watching someone else do it first rather than reading how to do it, I'm new to programming in general so I wanted to watch a tutorial with the hope that the code is more efficient than what I can currently do, I came here to ask for a tutorial because I couldn't find one myself and I appreciate the suggestion however I already know how arrays and data structures work as I made a probably more complicated than need be system in my inventory screen for character display and swapping functions.