Turn-based strategy

YanBG

@Felipe Rybakovas Bogarash is on hold for now. There are some bugs and it's too big of a project.

I added the menu to select faction(there are 20 states and 80 regions for now):

Also added towns on the map(3 different versions):

Last edited:
F

Felipe Rybakovas

Yes i know.... I know that feeling.

But this new project looks nice aswell! =D

YanBG

I've added coat of arms and some of the terrains(the trees turned out the best), also ranking sheet for the factions:

Last edited:

RujiK

Bogarash is on hold for now. There are some bugs and it's too big of a project.
lol the timing is funny. I may have just put Pale Meridian on a temporary hiatus and started a very small project. I just want to be able to say I've finished something and have it on steam.

This meme hit me pretty hard.

Your new game still looks pretty ambitious though. Nice stuff.

RangerX

This sounds like a nice game!
I am curious about something, is the attack order party based (like all player's characters and then its all cpu characters / "phases" like Fire Emblem) or its a stat deciding the order and it can mix up players and cpu characters? (FF tactics, etc)

YanBG

lol the timing is funny. I may have just put Pale Meridian on a temporary hiatus and started a very small project. I just want to be able to say I've finished something and have it on steam.
Also finishing an rpg requires a lot of tedious work, i made some breakthroughs earlier this year like adding multiplayer but i was moving in circles re-doing a lot of stuff without learning new mechanics and tricks.
I am curious about something, is the attack order party based (like all player's characters and then its all cpu characters / "phases" like Fire Emblem) or its a stat deciding the order and it can mix up players and cpu characters? (FF tactics, etc)
Now is party based, but i want to add retaliation or first melee strike for the pikemen like in Heroes of Might and Magic.

YanBG

Thank you! :D

I'm very happy with the tiles, fortunately there were blender models uploaded on OpenGameArt which i checked and was able to create my own. Without any variations, there are 12 pieces for the grass-to-water cliff:

YanBG

I got back to this game and made some graphical updates, the code still needs a lot of work(menus/interface). The rivers are narrower and there are more roads. I made these tall gray tiles for the mountains, instead of the flat elevation, so it'd make sense to place mines on them. I plan to add more resources, to make each grass tile unique looking because they are too simple now. Still not sure about the beaches but i changed them to flat(i can add the taller rocky cliff at some places for variation). The lighting on the trees is not updated. Hm i didn't post them before, there are 3 types(palms, pines and oaks) depending on the base terrain(desert, snow and grass).

This is from february for comparison:

YanBG

I've worked on a random map option, it uses perlin noise for the terrain. Then voronoi diagrams to split it into provinces. You could go for something more irregular but that's pretty fast and easy to code. Then choose a capital for each faction and grow it by having a chance to add the neighbouring provinces.

Animated tiles trick for the flags, instead of objects or sprites(improved the FPS a lot), they are rendered in white and then used tile_blend to give them the faction color.
Here is how to do it https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/animated-tiles.10793/

Also made tiles for all 46 border/blending combinations(before i had 12), you can look into tile bitmasking or blob tileset too. On first glance there is not much difference on the beach from before but it's needed to fill the gaps with randomly generated noise maps when you have one tile thick lines. https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.co...ng-to-auto-tile-your-level-layouts--cms-25673

Hey,

Are you still working on this? I have been watching this thread since the start, but I keep coming back in hopes of seeing an update :D This very much reminds me of Lords of the realm 1&2 and I really do hope you are just continuing this in secret ;)

YanBG

Haven't worked on it. I was thinking of more interesting design than this medieval province styled game and i don't like the graphics anymore. I tried a top-down instead of isometric:

Also had some ideas for the tactical battle system, added 90d rotations:

Elodman

Plz. just don't degrade your marvelous looking progy at this stage to 8 bit style if possible!
Catastrophe, after having created all those extremely nice maps, terrain & perhaps corresponding AI, too !!!!
Also, tactical units match much better for that finely drawn isometric landscape.