• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Turn Based or Real Time

I

ImKrakenUp

Hey everyone! My head hurts from going back and forth about what combat system I should use.

I love games with real time like:
Kingdom Hearts
The legend of Zelda
ECT.

I also love games with turn based like:
Persona
Final fantasy
ECT.

What should I start with? My game is about living a normal life and going into a non real world to battle.

Also, does anyone know what the combat is called for Xenoblade?

I

ImKrakenUp

Personally I definitely prefer real time combat. But I think you should decide.
Thank you! I'll still decide, but real time is what I was going to go for In the beginning until I played Persona 5.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Use both? Code your game as a realtime combat but provide a pause system so that users can take their time and think about what they want to do (or even add an "auto-pause" that the user can configure so that the game automatically pauses when someone's health goes before 25% or their power bar is full or whatever...). There are a few games that do this and it can work very well and gives you the best of both worlds.

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

To be honest I would say that the best system to use for your first attempt should depend really on whether or not it would compliment the game's design and narrative :) If it is a fast paced story and game, then real time may work better :) BUT if the pace is slower and you want to allow for a more tactical control of battle for the player, turn based :) A good blend of both could be an ATB system :)