• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Trying to understand the 'help' file that GMS 1 auto-generates

This is (hopefully) the last thing I need to figure out, for converting GMS 2 to GMS 1.

However: I don't understand what this file is doing in GMS 1, and it doesn't seem to be a file GMS 2 includes in it's projects (or, at least, not in the same way)

Code:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang2057{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Arial;}}
{\colortbl ;\red221\green221\blue221;}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\cf1\fs24\par
}
There is the basic file it auto-generates. I can see stuff that I get the gist of:
rtf (rich text format)
ansi (a format for characters)
red / green / blue (uh...colours, and presumably some value for them)
some other stuff to do with fonts

The structure seems strange. The brackets mean these are arrays in some code format? I don't know what the format is. Obviously the "\" is a break of some kind, though what use the ";" serves, I don't know.

Then there's the question of what any of all of this is actually applied to, since this file doesn't seem to have any other content. Is it something to do with the help manual? I messed around with the rgb values, and the font type, but couldn't see it change anything with how the UI displays, or any text within gamemaker.

I get the impression this is junk leftover from GM 8 (or earlier) and can just be copied as is to a new project, but that's an assumption, given that I can't quite figure out what it's doing :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I think this would be related to the RTF file that you can add to old versions for the user to open using the F1 key. In previous versions you could use this key to open a rich text formatted file and display game information, however I don't think it anyone ever used it in GMS1.