• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Trying to decide....

Z

Zelarous

Hello everyone, I am not sure if this is the correct place for this type of thread and if it isn't, I apologize. I am currently trying to decide if I should purchase Game Maker or not. I have been looking up information online bu I kind of wanted to ask the community a few things.
I do have a question about the learning curve. A little background on me first. I have been studying computer science for about three and a half years now. I have learned a few languages such as C++, Java, Python, and have dabbled (little) with assembly and scheme. I have created data structures, simple ftp systems, etc. but I have never dabbled in games. Is this software good for someone who is completely new to game development but a somewhat decent programmer? Is it too simple, or too constrained? I feel like this would be a good piece of software to help me learn more about game development, what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
This is a no-brainer. Just download the free version and try it. It's limited to Windows exports, but it has nearly all the features of the full version. No significant limitations.

If you already know programming basics (in any modern language), then you can start programming in GML immediately.

EDIT: I meant "no" significant limitations. Not "so". Changes the entire meaning. Sorry.

Last edited:
Z

Zelarous

Hey! Get game maker in humble bundle, don't think it anymore.
https://www.humblebundle.com/gamemaker-bundle

I started with 0 programation experience, and didn't have much troubles learning. What kind of game are you trying to make? I'd recommend you to check the games that have been made with this program and decide for yourself.
Really I am just trying to get comfortable working with games of any sort. I am thinking of using it as a learning tool in other words. Most of the stuff I have programmed have been 'behind the scenes' in a way with very little GUI. I want to learn how to use my code to interact with objects in a game, more complex GUI's, etc. Then after that maybe work on a couple projects for fun, or maybe with other people if I get decent enough with it.

HayManMarc

Yeah, spend a few bucks and buy it thru the humble bundle now while it's on an incredible sale. Even if it's not quite what you want (though I think you'll end up liking it), you won't be out very much.

(One thing to consider if you buy the humble bundle -- you don't have to redeem the GM:S Pro license until you've messed around with the free version first. If you end up not wanting it, you can gift the license to someone else since it hasn't been used yet.)

A

Aura

rIKmAN

Get the Humble Bundle deal before it runs out.

Get the $15 top tier, if you do like it you will regret it afterwards if you didn't get all the export modules.

Even if you end up not liking it, it costs less than a few cups of coffee / sandwiches / McDonalds / KFC / cigarettes / beers / whatever.
You get the idea.

Z

Zelarous

Just an update, I went ahead and bought it. I seem to be picking up on it quickly given that I have a decent understanding of programming. I am kind of just testing out what I can do in a test game scenario and everything seems to be going smoothly so far, though i am willing to bet that there are much better and more efficient ways to do the things I have done in it. Looking forward to learning more.

B

BoredMormon

It's also worth trying out a few of the competitors. There are free versions for all the major engines now.

GameMaker has some incredible strengths in the things it does well. But there are also some areas it struggles.