• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

troubles flipping sprite

L

Lofi

i'm trying to flip my sprite with this script
if keyboard_check(ord("A"))
then
{
image_xscale=-1;
}
else
{
image_xscale=1;
}

so when i hold A my sprite looks the other way but when i let go it stops, i want it to stay looking Left when i stop pressing A

obscene

As long as you simply have "else" it will face right in all other situations that are not pressing A. You could add "else if" and check for the D button instead and it should only change when either of those two keys are pressed.

GML:
// in create event
flipSprite = 1;

// in step event
if (keyboard_check_pressed(ord("A"))) {
flipSprite = !flipSprite;
}
switch (flipSprite) {
    case 0:
    image_xscale = -1;
    break;

case 1:
    image_xscale = 1;
    break;
}
you can use a on/off switch and a switch statement to do this, pretty clean. initialize the variable flipSprite to 1 in the create event so it starts facing right, then put the keyboard check in the step event to flip it. doing variable = !variable is a neat little on/off trick, and remember that if you want it to only happen with a single press you gotta check for check_pressed, not check.

L

Lofi

thank you mate i went with this in the end

if keyboard_check(ord("A"))
{
image_xscale=-1;
}
if keyboard_check(ord("D"))
{
image_xscale=1;
}

also why can i not do this