• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Trouble getting GameMaker Studio 2 mac demo to launch

C

charlespm

Hi All,

I'm brand new and I'm having trouble getting GameMaker Studio 2 to launch after downloading the trial version for the first time today.

I get the pinwheel and after a few minutes, my mac stops trying to run it. Activity monitor shows it running just under or above 100% CPU when it's trying to launch.

I don't think that it's an issue with my mac meeting GameMakers minimum requirements, but I don't know much about graphics cards. Everything else looked ok from what I could tell.

Here's what I've tried.

1) Downloading Xcode (after seeing mention of it in the requirements)
2) Uninstalling and reinstalling GameMaker Studio 2
3) Updating macOS

Info about my computer

macOS Catalina
Version 10.15.7 (19H2)
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Storage 203.04 GB available of 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Non.A

same. I purchased a full version. mine has been doing this for 3 days. it worked for about 10 minutes this morning then stopped again.

C

charlespm

Hey Non.A, I saw your post, but it was labeled "ios" so I wasn't sure if you were working on a mobile device or something.

Non.A

Hey Non.A, I saw your post, but it was labeled "ios" so I wasn't sure if you were working on a mobile device or something.
yeah I'm on a Mac, it looks like it's the same one you're using. I didn't realize I labeled it iOS.

here are some things I've tried so far:
uninstalling and reinstalling the program.
downloading the runtime directly, but the file just disappears after downloading it.
changing browsers.
whitelisting .yoyogames.com.
downloading mono framework directly.
sent a bug report.
installing without wifi.

it's kind of a bummer that it doesn't just work.

C

charlespm

yeah I'm on a Mac, it looks like it's the same one you're using. I didn't realize I labeled it iOS.

here are some things I've tried so far:
uninstalling and reinstalling the program.
downloading the runtime directly, but the file just disappears after downloading it.
changing browsers.
whitelisting .yoyogames.com.
downloading mono framework directly.
sent a bug report.
installing without wifi.

it's kind of a bummer that it doesn't just work.
Hey Non.A, I went ahead and submitted a bug report. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. Thanks for your help!

C

charlespm

Hey Non.A, I went ahead and submitted a bug report. I'll let you know if anything comes of it. Thanks for your help!
Hey Non.A, I heard back after submitting the bug report. In my case, there was a font on my mac called "Fira Sans" that was causing conflicts with GameMaker Studio 2 for some reason. After they pointed it out, I found it in the Font Book application and deleted it. Now GameMaker Studio 2 opens for me just fine.

One of the files that I had to send in as part of the bug report is called ui.log. You can find it here:
Users > Shared > GameMakerStudio 2 > ui.log

In my case, that file had a bajillion instances of this error message:
FontFreeType failed to load glyph='988', for face='Fira Sans'

I hope this helps your situation. I gave them a link to your post too. They said that your situation might be different from mine, but I thought I'd share in case it helps.

God bless!

Charles