Windows Troll's Crabby Island - GM48 game

drandula

wave2.png
Troll's Crabby Island
One of the Trolls has went to adventure and stranded himself in a tiny island middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, it's crabby.

This was my submission for game jam, short game where you try avoid crabs in small deserted island. Jump around in 8 tile area to avoid waves of crabs.
Whole game was made during 48 hours period in GM48 game jam, which theme was "Small World".

Game is downloadable (and rateble) here:
HTML5 version here:

Video:

I would appreciate feedback and rating in the jam game site, and also I recommend checking other entries :)
HTML5 has bug when restarting round and stacked waves may appear. Bug isn't present in Windows version, only caused because of porting to HTML5.

K12gamer

This is a great game... Best game I played all day.
Took me a little while to get use to the controls... (Initially pressed up arrow to try to make him go up to top of screen etc.)
It was easier for me to play when I turned my Keyboard sideways. (Maybe offer a secondary control scheme Up = Up Down = Down etc.)

Random Thoughts:
Maybe put score in upper right of screen....so you can see it while you're playing.
Maybe have a coconut periodically fall and bounce into water when you hit the tree.
A seagull that periodically swoops down and attacks would be cool.
A massive shark that periodically jumps over island would be cool.
A puffer fish that periodically jumped out of the water and blew a poisonous bubble at you would be cool.
An island native who periodically floated by in a canoe and shot a blow dart at you would be cool.

Note: This 2D island survivor game (made with GameMaker) reminded me of your game: GameJolt Link and Youtube Video Link

drandula

Thanks for feedback, and good thoughts.
Initial game was made during 48 hour period, therefore only things to avoid are managed to make are crabs.
And yes, controls needs bit to get used to. For post-jam version I will revise some decisions I originally made. Also checkpoints.