Alpha TRF - Drift Racing (0.5.0 Released) 26.04.2019

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by O.Stogden, Jan 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

Driving/handling seems spot on. The music is annoying imho. Skid sounds are perfect though!

O.Stogden likes this.
  2. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Thanks.

Music is one of the sticking points for me, not sure what to do with it haha.

Just designing the base tracks for the game right now, then polishing it up a bit. Got a couple of new features to add in, and then I might wrap up development of this. I haven't got the spare time to work on it as much as I'd like nowadays.

woodsmoke likes this.
  3. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Just a note to say I'm still working on this.

I started a job on the 10th of May this year, and I really haven't spent a great deal of time on TRF since then.

I finished adding in the Championship mode, where you play through a few races at once, and have to have the highest points at the end of it, there's no unlockables yet, although I would like to add some for this mode.

As my spare time is diminished, online multiplayer has been written off the roadmap. My network programming experience is limited, I've only made 1 game with networking in before, and that was sketchy at best. Doing multiplayer on this reasonably-sized game is just a bit too much for me to handle on my own with the time I have.

The Android version is also being scrapped, I don't think there's much interest for a multiplayer focused game on mobile, and the cost both financially and in terms of time is just more than I'm prepared to pay.

As I've taken the pressure off with getting rid of online-multiplayer and the Android port, I've switched the focus to making the local multiplayer as fun as possible.

Currently the focus is adding as many game modes / mini games as possible. In addition to the standard modes such as racing, elimination and drift, there'll be at least 5 other minigames/modes for you to try out.

These will take place in "Battle Arenas", instead of your usual race tracks, and the track editor has been updated to allow the creation of new Battle Arenas. They're smaller, 3840x2160 instead of 12800x12800 like race tracks, but this means you can fit the whole map on screen at once, and allows for 8 players to play together on one PC.

There's also been some small changes I've managed too add in over the last few months, such as weather affecting car performance, and some updates to the UI.

Hope to post updates more regularly for the rest of the year.

4. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Hey everyone,

I took a step back from TRF lately, to focus on a couple of game jams I was doing for fun, and to just relax and not feel pressured to work on a big project like this.

Rather than detail all that's been worked on (since 0.5.0 in April), I decided to just post the whole changelog for what's happened since then.

Code:
    ADD: Added animation for weapon pickups.
    ADD: Added event setting to disable car collisions.
    ADD: Added Delta-timing, allowing players on lower-end devices to still play the game without slowdown.
    ADD: Added ability to make Battle Arenas in the track editor.
    ADD: Weather now affects car physics. Cars have less traction in rain/snow etc.

CHANGE: Improved the way resolution is scaled, increases quality on displays higher than 720p resolution.
    CHANGE: All Car classes have again increased in speed slightly.
    CHANGE: The Bolt and Reverse weapons now travel faster.
    CHANGE: Weapon cooldown changed from 3 seconds to 2 seconds, to compensate for faster cars.
    CHANGE: Lighting system has been greatly optimized.
    CHANGE: Reduced delay between starting an event and the countdown timer starting.
    CHANGE: Bolt and Reverse weapons can no longer hit the car that fired them, a change to implement Delta Timing.
    CHANGE: Sakura blossom trees have been optimized.
    CHANGE: Adjusted the pitch/gain settings of car sounds to fit the faster cars and take into account Delta Timing.
    CHANGE: Desert track pieces changed to fit in with the environment background better.
    CHANGE: Braking power has been slightly reduced.
    CHANGE: Engine changes mean performance should be markedly improved. (Updated from GMS 1.4 to 2.x)
    CHANGE: Changed the main menu UI to simplify and allow creation of Battle Arenas.

FIX: Weapon Pad lighting should no longer flicker.
    FIX: Pulse weapon should now affect people around you, instead of just behind you.
    FIX: Cars can no longer rotate on the spot again.
    FIX: The 'Drafting' mutator should actually turn off when it's disabled now.
    FIX: Fixed an issue caused by Drafting.
    FIX: You can no longer change mode in the track builder unless the drop down box is open.
    FIX: Options menu now scales better with resolution.
    FIX: Changing laps in the lobby no longer affects the laps of championship races.
    FIX: Fixed a bunch of scaling issues in the menus.

There's a couple of things being worked on that I haven't included in the changelog, as I've only put things in that are finished. These include a new game mode, and a couple of ideas I'm about to implement.

This version isn't available yet, as I still need to fix some issues related to the Battle Arena's, but I hope it have it available soon, along with a couple of Battle Arena game modes, both of which will be playable in 8 player.

Any suggestions for minigames / game modes for the Battle Arena's would be most welcome, or general suggestions for the game.

Thanks everyone!

5. O.Stogden

O.Stogden Member

Working on a new system for the drift mode.

Instead of programming an AI that drifts accurately/well on a variety of tracks, which is a bit beyond me, I'm instead making a system that analyzes track layouts, and then calculates realistic drift scores for the AI, which should hopefully provide a challenging experience, even on user-made tracks.

Currently I have it taking into account consecutive corners to allow AI to build up the drift multiplier. On harder difficulties the AI can also "snake" on straights to keep their multiplier up. The scores it gets per corner and on the straights is based on what a player would roughly be able to score on them.

The harder difficulty still needs a little work, as right now the scores it can post can be quite varied and random, so I'm trying to narrow it down to be fairly consistent, and still hard to beat.

Another thing that slipped through the net that I never mentioned on here, is the addition of a new game mode: Zen.

Zen is very much inspired by the "Zone" mode in WipEout. You're forced to always be accelerating, your top speed will increase over time, the faster you're going, the more points you rack up, going off the track will result in your score being penalised. The AI likewise struggle with this mode, as brakes are disabled in Zen, and the speeds will eventually exceed the speed of a Hyper class car. I'll most likely implement a calculation of the AI's score, much-like I'm working on with the Drift mode right now, rather than have the AI attempting to drive in Zen.

Both the Drift calculations and Zen mode will be available in the next release.

A feature that was often requested is also now in the game, in that Elimination rounds will now auto-resolve when no human players are left in the round. The AI that is furthest ahead will automatically win the round.