• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Treating Sprite Images from Tilemaps as Objects

K

KieranSherman

Hey everyone,

I'm about to start working on a project and I have a fairly large tilemap set up. In the game, I would like the user to have their own sort of editor. I envision them being able to open up some menu, select the tile they'd like to draw with, and proceed to create their own level. Basically, I'd like to isolate every 16x16 chunk I have within my tilemap, and have it treated as though it were its own object. Obviously I could go through, cut out every tile in an image editor, import them all as sprites, and then create some objects to represent those sprites, but basically what I'm asking is if I can avoid all that, and just use a tilesheet somehow.

Thank you!