3D Transparency - quick question

M

maelstrom

Newbie Alert!

If I have a 3D tube, and its textured with a chess board pattern of blacks and whites...

If I make the white areas of the texture transparent, would it have the corresponding effect of making areas of the 3D model transparent?

Or would I have to create a model of a 3D tube with the appropriate areas removed, so you could see through it?

you will be able to see through the transparent areas if you turn on alpha testing (look up draw_set_alpha_test). Edges might look blurry if you have texture interpolation on. (in which case you might want to go with the second method you talk about in your OP).

and you will be able to see the back side of the tube as long as backside culling is off (look up d3d_set_culling). If culling is on, then you'd need to make 2x the triangles, one for inner and one for outer surface of the tube.

M

maelstrom

ah, that's great info, thanks!

I did actually try it with transparent areas in the texture and got the issue you mentioned - blurring, so will try your advice.

Also, I was able to see into the tube through the transpartent textures, when camera was outside but couldn't see objects outside the tube when camera was inside - which may be the culling issue you mention.

I'll check everything out - big thanks.

M

maelstrom

SOLVED

By setting the depth value of the tube object to a value below the other objects, the problem was solved. The transparent areas in the texture how now properly transparent on the 3D model of the tube.

Furthermore, thanks to the great info above, I turned OFF texture interpolation, and everything looked much sharper, exact;y how I wanted, with no blurring.