• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE translated documentation online

F

flashjaysan

Hi!
I'm french and I often help others fellow users of GameMaker with their problems.
I often give them links to the official documentation but it is only in english and they often ask for the french version which they can access locally from their GameMaker IDE.
Is there a way to access the french (or any other translation) documentation online?
Thanks in advance.

F

flashjaysan

I love when serious questions get sarcastic answers...
Thank you captain obvious.
I've no problem with reading english but not everyone is proficient in that language.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I love when serious questions get sarcastic answers...
Thank you captain obvious.
I've no problem with reading english but not everyone is proficient in that language.
I'm not being sarcastic here. There is no official translation of the GMS 2 Manual. If you want it, for now it will have to come from places like https://translate.google.fr.

Go to http://docs2.yoyogames.com/, then use the Index tab to find the function you want to look up. Then find the URL of the page (the menu labels are in English, there should be French equivalents for them):
  • Firefox: Right-click on the entry page > This Frame > Show Only This Frame, then copy the URL at the top.
  • Chrome: Right-click on the entry page > View Frame Source, then copy the part after view-source: at the top.
Then paste that URL into Google Translate France and you will get a link to the translated version.

Here's an example with http_get():

F

flashjaysan

OK, sorry. I thought you were mocking me.
Thank you for the detailed process. This isn't good translation but it may help my fellows a little anyway.
I don't understand why there is a translated documentation available with every GameMaker installation but not online. If Yoyo takes the time to translate it, they should put it online too.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
yeah, should probably be online these days.... But, Google translate for European languages is very good..... just look at your french manual. *whistle* :squirrel:

F

flashjaysan

Do you imply the french manual provided is translated automatically using that kind of tools? (google translate)
I prefer to use the english documentation but I heard from my fellows that the translation wasn't very good at all. Nevertheless, they still want to use the french bad documentation instead of the english one. Go figure.