• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Transfer GM lite 8.1 project to a gamemaker studio 2 project

K

Kornen2zizi

Hi, i was just wondering, is there a way that I can transfer my games i made with gamemaker lite 8.1 to gamemaker studio 2?
(I don’t own gamemaker studio 1)
Thanks

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I don't think there is a direct way. That said, with such a big jump you may be better off just redoing things, and copy/pasting code where it makes sense. 8.1 is years old(even GMS1.4 is years old by now), so its hard to expect much support for it these days.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Does it not work if you install version 1.4 through the release notes? You can also copy and paste everything manually from GM 8.1 to GMS 2, it's the only viable way for your situation.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
There's an opensource clone of GMS1, if you manage to get it working you might be able to convert your GM8 project to a GMS1 project which GMS2 can open. (That's a big "if" considering the state of the project, so good luck!)

I'm pretty sure naming the project violates the forum rules, but you probably can find it by googling.

K

koren2zi

Does it not work if you install version 1.4 through the release notes? You can also copy and paste everything manually from GM 8.1 to GMS 2, it's the only viable way for your situation.
how can i download it? it doesnt seem to work...can i still get in 2020?

K

koren2zi

There's an opensource clone of GMS1, if you manage to get it working you might be able to convert your GM8 project to a GMS1 project which GMS2 can open. (That's a big "if" considering the state of the project, so good luck!)

I'm pretty sure naming the project violates the forum rules, but you probably can find it by googling.
is it legal?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
is it legal?
AFAIK it's built from the ground up without using the GM code base as a reference, so it's legal... not sure if it's breaking the GM EULA though (I know for a fact it forbids reverse-engineering compiled games, not sure if reverse-engineering the project file format is also on that list) and discussing competing programs to GM is against GMC forum rules (this also isn't super clear-cut since this project competes with an obsolete version of GM that has been unsupported for years)