1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Traffic Jam

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Ted Gress, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Ted Gress

Ted Gress Member

So I know I've posted about this a couple times but I'm not making any headway.

My enemy character is either solid or not. Fair enough,. When they aren't solid they overlap and go right through the player. When the y are solid they run into each other and get stuck.

I'm looking for some sort of algorithm I can use so that they will stop when they run into the player, won't overlap, and can move around each other. I've tried making them stop when they collide with each other and bump the other enemy out of the way, I've tried speeding them up on their path but they still either enter a traffic jam or fly across the screen. I'd post some code, but frankly, I don't have an ything that works well enough to post. I basically have some player characters and the enemy brains that float towards the other side of the screen.

2. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

Sounds like you're wanting pathfinding with dynamic collision avoidance. Good solutions to this, I'm afraid, are not simple. At basic level, it means enemies need to be aware of their desired movement direction and all the obstacles nearby (including fellow enemies), then decide which way to move. One thing you could look into is Steering Behaviors - but guides generally expect you to understand basic vector math.

3. Kanugane

Kanugane Member

I'd personally would experiment with place_meeting function and collisions. It won't be an easy one but at least, it could put you on a right path of solving this issue.

4. Ted Gress

Ted Gress Member

Does place_meeting work even if one of the elements of the collision isn't marked solid?

5. Ted Gress

Ted Gress Member

NightFrost: I think I could handle it. I had Linear Algebra in college. Do you have any good links you could share with me?

6. the_dude_abides

the_dude_abides Member

Go to tutorials and type "steering behaviours" - there's a download, and whatnot, for this topic

7. Ted Gress

Ted Gress Member

I went to the tutorials and searched for steeeing behaviors but it didn’t find anything

8. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

9. the_dude_abides

the_dude_abides Member

That will be the one....courtesy of IndianaBones

10. Ted Gress

Ted Gress Member

Got the link and watched it. He cuts out at the end and explains Steering Behaviors but not avoidance,. There aren't any follow up videos.