• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design traditional japanese asset idea's

J

jackhigh24

ok iv come up against a problem, a game i making has graphics that are traditional japanese things so like lots of bamboo, cherry blossom and things like that, so all is good as well its just things from traditional japan, but then i realized i need to have a options room with volume controls, but what things could be used for volume controls as anything i can think of would not be traditional, so as volume controls were only invented in modern times anyone got any ideas.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You could have lucky cat statues for on/off options - they hold up their coin proudly when on (and has a glow effect) and they put it down when off. For sliders, you could move the cat left and right (to keep in the same style as the other options).

J

jackhigh24

that quite a nice idea, i was thinking more along the lines of ether some kind of mechanical cog like thing.
all ideas are welcome so if anyone else has input would be nice.

S

seanm

You could do vertical sliders.

Bamboo shoots.

They grow when you increase the slider, and they get rapidly cut when you decrease the slider.

J

jackhigh24

umm thats more food for thought, thanks, iv also been thinking of something to do with water, like a jar or something and the more you fill it up the more sound as that would represent volume, but then im stumped on how to empty it LOL, got to take into account easy finger control as its for mobiles.

pixeltroid

traditional japanese things so like lots of bamboo, cherry blossom and things like that, so all is good as well its just things from traditional japan, but then i realized i need to have a options room with volume controls, but what things could be used for volume controls as anything i can think of would not be traditional, so as volume controls were only invented in modern times anyone got any ideas.
Since you are using cherry blossoms, you are very clearly inspired by Japanese paintings, so why not take inspiration from the same source, so as to maintain visual consistency?

If youre looking to create a Japanese ambience, you don't have to always use a representation of a physical object. You could be more subtle and just use the concept of japanese calligraphy on textured paper in all your settings control rooms. Not only would this be easier to implement, but it would also establish how you text/data screens are depicted in genaral in your game.

Use a shishi-odoshi. Turn the water up to increase the sound. It can be animated and play it's own sound louder to get the sound part across. The faster the water runs the faster it fills up and the harder it hits coming back down.

Edit: actually would it be more quiet with more water? Enough water will stop it from crashing down altogether so that would work for muting volume.

J

jackhigh24

ye @jazzzar i did try that one first but does look odd so need to keep some ideas coming and im sure one will fit well in the end.

T

Tirous

you could have it be a slider in the form of a large role of cloth-like paper wiki kanji and kana written on it. Then have this length be ended by a spooling from which said material is being wound from.

J

jackhigh24

i like that idea @Tirous il look into all things that come on a roll as want something that will fit well into the games design, so traditional Japanese martial arts related things.