• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Tower Ideas?

Vintendi

Just would love some suggestions for towers in my new tower defence game. I know ANOTHER tower defence game but I would love some interesting ideas for my game.
Currently have:
Standard, Sniper, Explosive, Slow, Corrosive, Magic (Chain damage enemies), Laser (Creates beam between laser turrets), Flame Thrower, 360 shot, Engineer (Places Turrets randomly around map), Flyer (drops bombs on path), Boat (Water only).

Would love some other ideas for and interesting game. Nothing is out of the question. Each turret currently has 10 upgrades and will have a total of 24-36 turrets implemented.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I should also note i do this in my free time so these ideas may take time to implement but I will be happy to share the end results of your ideas when I have implemented them.

Last edited:
T

Timze

sacrifice - instantly kill # troops in range // cooldown = whatever for balance
Ice - freeze for a set time
bullet hell - would be interesting to see a tower that shoots out a random bullet hell pattern. Lol
chance - 50% chance either increase atk or decrease atk. Or whichever stat. HP.
Genetic lab - Transform units that cross this towers path into an instance of ...// something else. zombies maybe?
Petrify - Turn into stone for 5+ seconds
Teleport - sends x enemy units back to their spawn. Can only be done once per unit -or- have a long cooldown to avoid infinite abuse.

Vintendi

sacrifice - instantly kill # troops in range // cooldown = whatever for balance
Ice - freeze for a set time
bullet hell - would be interesting to see a tower that shoots out a random bullet hell pattern. Lol
chance - 50% chance either increase atk or decrease atk. Or whichever stat. HP.
Genetic lab - Transform units that cross this towers path into an instance of ...// something else. zombies maybe?
Petrify - Turn into stone for 5+ seconds
Teleport - sends x enemy units back to their spawn. Can only be done once per unit -or- have a long cooldown to avoid infinite abuse.
Some great ideas, will definitely be included some of these. Will share results when done.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Just would love some suggestions for towers in my new tower defence game. I know ANOTHER tower defence game but I would love some interesting ideas for my game.
Currently have:
Standard, Sniper, Explosive, Slow, Corrosive, Magic (Chain damage enemies), Laser (Creates beam between laser turrets), Flame Thrower, 360 shot, Engineer (Places Turrets randomly around map), Flyer (drops bombs on path), Boat (Water only).

Would love some other ideas for and interesting game. Nothing is out of the question. Each turret currently has 10 upgrades and will have a total of 24-36 turrets implemented.

Thanks in advance
xD I see some Bloons tower defence influence here!

How about a slow turret- slows down enemies its shoots
A stun turret - stuns enemies it zaps
A morphing turret - turns strong enemies into weaker ones.
A spawn turret - Spawns allied units on the track which hold off enemies for a small while
Weaken turret - adds a debuf to enemeies which causes them to take more damage from other turrets
Trap turret - places traps down which damage or slow down enemies
Distribute turret - always deals fix ammount of damage per attack, distributed over enemies in a radius. So either 100 dmg to a single enemy, or 20 dmg to a group of five enemies, etc. Maybe make it on a curve so its better to target single enemies.
Finish-Him turret - deals more damage to enemies with less % health.

G

Guest User

for "standard" turrets you can just turn typical gun attributes into turrets:
- light machine gun turret: shoots fast, is pretty accurate, but does low damage
- machine gun turret: shoots fast, does decent damage, but not very accurate
- shotgun turret: massive damage, but shorter range and slower speed than standard
- alternatively, melee turret: does massive damage to enemies that come within melee range of the turret
- grenade launcher: launches a single projectile that explodes on impact, takes awhile to reload
- anti-materiel turret: similar to a sniper turret. slow as heck but deals massive amounts of damage to heavily armored enemies

Vintendi

for "standard" turrets you can just turn typical gun attributes into turrets:
- light machine gun turret: shoots fast, is pretty accurate, but does low damage
- machine gun turret: shoots fast, does decent damage, but not very accurate
- shotgun turret: massive damage, but shorter range and slower speed than standard
- alternatively, melee turret: does massive damage to enemies that come within melee range of the turret
- grenade launcher: launches a single projectile that explodes on impact, takes awhile to reload
- anti-materiel turret: similar to a sniper turret. slow as heck but deals massive amounts of damage to heavily armored enemies
The problem is that I've used most of these attributes as upgrade paths for certain turrets. Standard turret can become a machine gun or a shotgun type turret depending on which upgrades you choose, similarly with the sniper i have a slow firing high damage branch and a faster firing longer range one. The melee turret is a great idea though will definitely play around with that idea.

Vintendi

xD I see some Bloons tower defence influence here!

How about a slow turret- slows down enemies its shoots
A stun turret - stuns enemies it zaps
A morphing turret - turns strong enemies into weaker ones.
A spawn turret - Spawns allied units on the track which hold off enemies for a small while
Weaken turret - adds a debuf to enemeies which causes them to take more damage from other turrets
Trap turret - places traps down which damage or slow down enemies
Distribute turret - always deals fix ammount of damage per attack, distributed over enemies in a radius. So either 100 dmg to a single enemy, or 20 dmg to a group of five enemies, etc. Maybe make it on a curve so its better to target single enemies.
Finish-Him turret - deals more damage to enemies with less % health.
I did gather some inspiration from bloons but hopefully it will be unique enough to stand out.
Some great turret ideas.

sylvain_l

to add to the list:

guilotine portal - manually (with heavy cool down) or randomly decapitate the monster under it (if any monster)
"hero" - as the name implie, a charachter that the player can move around with special abilities. depending the tower game : if killed you lost the play or is just immortal and respawnable after a cooldown for a fraction of its initial cost.
wall or barricade - just a destructible obstacle to stop the progression of the monster/ennemies for a limited time (until they depleted all its HP)
blob - which moves around randomly and swollows and digests ennemies.
transmutting tower - 2 variante 1) transmute the ennemies into gold (for a cost in mana or energy), 2) or just transmute the gold ennemies drop when you kill them into another useful ressource.
necromant tower - cooldown abilitiy allow to resurect skeletals of killed ennemies to help you
the dog or the thermal/movement detector - to detect stealth ennemies units
the control mind/viruses tower - allow to have the humanoide/mechanical or robot be on your side for a limited time (they attack the others ennemies instead of your towers while under control)
level down tower (as most variant debuffing ability tower) - as name implie can be use to retrograd the level of an ennemy (or its defense, attack whatsoever) for a cost in mana or a limited amount of usage/time.

Vintendi

to add to the list:

guilotine portal - manually (with heavy cool down) or randomly decapitate the monster under it (if any monster)
"hero" - as the name implie, a charachter that the player can move around with special abilities. depending the tower game : if killed you lost the play or is just immortal and respawnable after a cooldown for a fraction of its initial cost.
wall or barricade - just a destructible obstacle to stop the progression of the monster/ennemies for a limited time (until they depleted all its HP)
blob - which moves around randomly and swollows and digests ennemies.
transmutting tower - 2 variante 1) transmute the ennemies into gold (for a cost in mana or energy), 2) or just transmute the gold ennemies drop when you kill them into another useful ressource.
necromant tower - cooldown abilitiy allow to resurect skeletals of killed ennemies to help you
the dog or the thermal/movement detector - to detect stealth ennemies units
the control mind/viruses tower - allow to have the humanoide/mechanical or robot be on your side for a limited time (they attack the others ennemies instead of your towers while under control)
level down tower (as most variant debuffing ability tower) - as name implie can be use to retrograd the level of an ennemy (or its defense, attack whatsoever) for a cost in mana or a limited amount of usage/time.
Wow. some amazing and unique ideas, I'm going to have a lot of fun with these :)

M

manopoliy

-Mole tower: build on x different spots where it can be switched position between.
-Black hole tower: builds up little black holes in range pulling all enemies towards the hole.
-Buff tower: buffs an effect type(range,damage,speed,energie,...) of all towers in range.
-Decay tower: splitt one enemy in two with half of its stats.
-Conveyor belt: Moves the enemy to the belts start posirion.
-Drone launcher: creates drones floating in range of the tower and shot enemies in drone range.
-Magma Tower: creates on missile impact a pool of magma staying until end of the game slowing and burning enemies. No towers can be placed near magma or they take damage aswell when placed nearby.
-Water pool: Slow enemie slightly on contact and make them wet. Ice and electro damage and effects increase by wet enemies.

Genetix

- Make a tower that transforms enemies into weak chickens! (Funny and effective, although a bit slow fire rate)
- Make a tower that transports enemies back to the start of their path or to a certain spawn point.

Vintendi

-Mole tower: build on x different spots where it can be switched position between.
-Black hole tower: builds up little black holes in range pulling all enemies towards the hole.
-Buff tower: buffs an effect type(range,damage,speed,energie,...) of all towers in range.
-Decay tower: splitt one enemy in two with half of its stats.
-Conveyor belt: Moves the enemy to the belts start posirion.
-Drone launcher: creates drones floating in range of the tower and shot enemies in drone range.
-Magma Tower: creates on missile impact a pool of magma staying until end of the game slowing and burning enemies. No towers can be placed near magma or they take damage aswell when placed nearby.
-Water pool: Slow enemie slightly on contact and make them wet. Ice and electro damage and effects increase by wet enemies.
thanks for the ideas

Vintendi

- Make a tower that transforms enemies into weak chickens! (Funny and effective, although a bit slow fire rate)
- Make a tower that transports enemies back to the start of their path or to a certain spawn point.
I love the chicken turret idea. What should the chickens do as a comedic effect? Should they just wonder the map aimlessly for the game or kamikaze other enemies. Would love to hear your ideas

Genetix

I honestly only imagined them staying in line with like 1 hp and clucking a lot - but the potential is there for a lot, and could add to the games "fun" factor if done well!

The M

Just be careful not to overdo it. I once made a tower defense game with 55 unique towers types (11 base towers with two upgrades each and another upgrade for each of those which all changed the towers' function), they could also be leveled up five times. Needless to say it became a nightmare to balance and having so many options made the game really hard for the player too. If you have a lot of turrets, make sure to either limit how many they have access to at a time (or at least start with few) or try to make it easy to understand. Also consider how much they should differ from each other (a grenade tower might for example be better as an upgrade to the rocket tower, rather than a unique tower).

C

Cybiont Technologies

Indeed balancing is hard thing to do for any game.