• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Tower defense game ideas stuck in a rut

T

tdg_

I've been working on a TD game off and on for a while now and I've hit a rut in terms of active gameplay mechanics to keep the player engaged during the wave phase.

Right now what I have is a system where when the enemies die they drop gold that you have to collect with your mouse. This allows you to upgrade/build towers. This idea kinda added engagement, but I feel like there are better options out there. I'm open to any ideas. I would post a link to my game but I am a new user.

P.S. if anyone also has a good method for tree/forest tilesets, I would appreciate some help with that too.

S

sponsz

You could just steal their technology upon defeat. Progressively more difficult enemies should have newer / better technology.
For added fun, I would also suggest to turn the game roles the other way round as well ( you being the attackers) and then upon successful breach of defense is when you steal their technologies.

T

tdg_

You could just steal their technology upon defeat. Progressively more difficult enemies should have newer / better technology.
For added fun, I would also suggest to turn the game roles the other way round as well ( you being the attackers) and then upon successful breach of defense is when you steal their technologies.
I actually considered that as an idea for my next project. A base builder of sorts where you send units to defeat a tower defense like maze.

R

RooksThe23rd

Could use activated abilities that require targeting. Each turret could have unique skills.

Maybe a dynamic map, where the waves change entrance location and you could stock points through wave clearing that allow you to move a turret without penalty or losing resources.

Weather effects. Some turrets do better or worse.

Mid map mini game. Decode enemy tramsmissions during a wave and make the next wave lose units.

Idk about the click to collect gold idea. In my opinion, it would seem more like a hassle, rather than something keeping me into the game actively.