Windows Touchscreen won't register single touch pressed, only double tap and release

L

Leighton

Hello, I am trying to get my program to detect on a windows touchscreen PC single touch mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left) or device_mouse_check_button_pressed(0, mb_left) but it will only detect double taps. device_mouse_dbclick_enable() is disabled. Checking for release works, but I need it to be more responsive. I can't really figure out why this is happening.

I'm running v1.4.1763 of Studio but this has been a problem for awhile.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Post your code.

I use the mouse_check_* functions and have no problem with them detecting touches.
Are you sure your device isn't faulty?

L

Leighton

Post your code.

I use the mouse_check_* functions and have no problem with them detecting touches.
Are you sure your device isn't faulty?
Yes, I've tried multiple monitors and the one I'm currently using is brand new. Are you using a windows touch screen device? I know it works on mobile devices, but have yet to have it work correctly on a windows touch screen for PC. Also I've thought it might have something to do with the connector cable for touch data. What kind are you using?

Thank you

rIKmAN

Yes, I've tried multiple monitors and the one I'm currently using is brand new. Are you using a windows touch screen device? I know it works on mobile devices, but have yet to have it work correctly on a windows touch screen for PC. Also I've thought it might have something to do with the connector cable for touch data. What kind are you using?

Thank you
Ah OK, you didn't mention that in your OP so I assumed you were talking about mobile devices.

iOS / Android work fine but I have not used or tested with any Windows touch screen monitors.

L

Leighton

Ah OK, you didn't mention that in your OP so I assumed you were talking about mobile devices.

iOS / Android work fine but I have not used or tested with any Windows touch screen monitors.
Ah, good point. Fixed OP.

W

Wraithious

I think this involves the explorer settings in windows, the user has to set the single/double click option for their touch screen properties in the windows settings, using the double click enable function in game maker isn't compatible with windows touch screens. this link has some info about it

L

Leighton

I think this involves the explorer settings in windows, the user has to set the single/double click option for their touch screen properties in the windows settings, using the double click enable function in game maker isn't compatible with windows touch screens. this link has some info about it
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the solution. (btw your website link doesn't work)

I've given in for now and am just going to use _released.

W

Wraithious

Thats weird the link works for me, but i hear you on your question, I havent gotten it to work either sorry

S

ste

Hello, I am trying to get my program to detect on a windows touchscreen PC single touch mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left) or device_mouse_check_button_pressed(0, mb_left) but it will only detect double taps. device_mouse_dbclick_enable() is disabled. Checking for release works, but I need it to be more responsive. I can't really figure out why this is happening.

I'm running v1.4.1763 of Studio but this has been a problem for awhile.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
same issue any updates?

L

Leighton

same issue any updates?
Never did find the solution I wanted. Game is now live in the museum though. The touchscreen they gave me actaully worked as intended though.

Prior to that though my work around was to have an object off screen and every time the mouse position moved I would move the object to the new mouse position, check for overlap with whatever is being tapped, return the answer, then move the object back off screen. This worked okay, but you could cheese it by dragging your finger around the screen, effectively "clicking" while you were dragging.

A

Aphrodite

I hope this isn't considered necroposting (well it shouldn't) but I am facing the same issue, where a double tap is needed to register a single click on the windows platform (Note that the html5 platform on the same hardware works flawlessly so it is not an hardware issue nor a setting needing change needed on the OS it seems, and the android platform has no issue so it isn't a code problem). I am not a fan of workarounds tbh so I would like to know if we need to report that as a bug (how?) or if it is too late for that.

I am using the following to check if the screen has been tapped:
Code:
device_mouse_check_button_pressed(0, mb_left)
also I saw that some older games (like Age of Empires 2) didn't register a "click" when a touchscreen was used on windows unless a double tap is used so I guess it could be because of an older windows API being used by game maker itself, however I can only guess.

I also could not get single touch to work! What does work is the dragging event and the mouse release on first press. I hope this gets fixed. I was really bummed out that my game doesn't support windows touchscreens

Same issue with latest version of GMS2 and Windows 10 touchscreen: regular interaction with windows via touch seems to work fine, but in my game, I have to double-tap in order to register a mouse click (using a mouse works as expected). Anyone ever figure this out?

Went looking for a solution 1 year later after someone complained about having difficulty playing my new game on their touchscreen and it looks like there still isn't one!

My recommendation to anyone looking for a solution is to make a touch-screen mode for the game where all the button-pressed checks are switched to button-released checks.
This works great on touchscreens but not for mouse users.

Last edited: