• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Total Zugzwang: Arcade Chess

Jam373

Total Zugzwang is the world's first Score-Attack Arcade Chess game!

Battle endless waves of chess pieces, allowed due to the dynamic, board-shifting "Total Zugzwang" mechanic.
Deal with both friendly and deadly status effects like Rogue, Swift and Protected pieces.

Learn new tactics and strategies to deal with the game-changing new mechanics and how they interact with all your favourite chess classics.

It's chess like you've never seen it before!

Please give it a try and share you're highscores, but most of all I would love to hear how the balance and learning curve feels.
I may have made the game, but this is still all new to me, tell me what strategies you figured out. You may find you're a Total Zugzwang Pioneer!
Did you find an easily abusable strategy? Do you think the ruthless Rogue Pieces are too difficult to deal with? Let me know!

Screenshot 2021-05-02 11-42-47.pngScreenshot 2021-05-02 12-08-03.png

Most important features to come:
  • Tutorial
  • Sound and Music
  • Online Leaderboards
Special Thanks to @FrostyCat for his excellent Minimax Algorithm and help.

Last edited: