Free Top-Down Survival Shooter, Last Light

M

Monster25

Last Light is a top-down survival shooter that takes place in an abandoned mansion. Your goal is to reach the last room in the mansion and survive the zombie onslaught. Find keys to open the various locked doors and earn the much needed supplies in order to survive or use your weapons to break crates for rewards. Use your flashlight to traverse the levels and spot enemies before they spot you. Choose whether to shoot your enemies from safe distance and risk a lot more being startled or finish them off quickly from close range with a knife.

About the project:
This project has been created by Cioancă Andrei and Constantin Răzvan-Ionuţ, students in 12th grade, class E, at the Theoretical High-School of Informatics Grigore Moisil, Iaşi, Romania.
The project was conceived for presentation in the Informatics Assessment Examination.

http://imgur.com/PeyVMJA

http://imgur.com/a/hl8SZ

http://imgur.com/qgYA3XW

http://imgur.com/qLBCdvq

Features:
- Shoot only while standing still (Resident Evil style)
- Colored keys for different colored doors (Doom style)
- Flashlight
- Pistol and Knife
- Traditional 2D Movement
- Pathfinding AI
- Immersive sounds and design
- Nine different levels to explore

Last Light is available for free here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0wxlq7jq5g7brlx/Last_Light.exe
Please do give constructive criticism! Thank you for checking it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

lolslayer

You should make the pictures watchable on the forums instead of us needing to open it ourselves, it will be much more interesting to see this topic then ;)

M

Monster25

I'd love to do that but I'm not sure how D:

lolslayer

Yeah, I also have trouble on imgur in the beginning

I tried fixing it for you, but sadly enough the forums can't display MP4 files so it seems like you're doomed :p

But next time you want to show off a silent video on the forums like this, you should consider using gifs because the forums can display that

S

Spike11

I'd like to see more of this game, looks interesting so far. love the menus. :)

E

el_Dife

I tried the game, quiet simple but well done.
I found a key but couldn't enter the building :confused:

M

Monster25

You have to press Space ^^ I left that for the player to figure out, although now that I think of it I probably should've mentioned in the controls. As for more of the game, right now its fully released right here, this is the full game! It is the only one I ever managed to create fully with someone else. I am interested in more projects but I haven't found someone I can cooperate with on one yet :)

Z

z0anthr0pe

Looks interesting, and could probably be lengthened successfully

T

Trailerhater@137

i looked at the imgur. . . it seems like a amazingly good work-in-progress

D

DyingSilence

This game is quite ambivalent to me. The menu is spot on with it's background, font, spacing and overal design, the black dot marker being it's weakest spot. Also, as it is a shooter, adding mouse support to the menu seems to be a quite intuitive step.
I can't pass the first level as invisible enemies scratch my back, even after I check around me. I can't tell if it's intended.
The sound design is really, really good, only some pickup sounds don't really hit the spot, like the Android's "OK" sound when the battery pickup is taken.
What REALLY needs to be fixed is the thing being an installer - nobody enjoys those - and the disclaimer being not only unskippable, but shown every single time the game is over.
More fixes include quitting the game without dying (like the good old ESC press) and indicating somehow that the player is in the stealth mode, as there is no notable difference.

Good luck!

M

Monster25

This game is quite ambivalent to me. The menu is spot on with it's background, font, spacing and overal design, the black dot marker being it's weakest spot. Also, as it is a shooter, adding mouse support to the menu seems to be a quite intuitive step.
I can't pass the first level as invisible enemies scratch my back, even after I check around me. I can't tell if it's intended.
The sound design is really, really good, only some pickup sounds don't really hit the spot, like the Android's "OK" sound when the battery pickup is taken.
What REALLY needs to be fixed is the thing being an installer - nobody enjoys those - and the disclaimer being not only unskippable, but shown every single time the game is over.
More fixes include quitting the game without dying (like the good old ESC press) and indicating somehow that the player is in the stealth mode, as there is no notable difference.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the constructive criticism, it means quite a lot to a young game developer.

I agree some sound choices were definitely not on par as all the others and I should've added quite a lot more functionality.
The player enters "Stealth Mode" or as I like to call it "Low Noise Mode" when pressing CTRL, there is no notable difference other than a slower speed (which is not good).
There are no invisible enemies, check your brightness it may be so low that you can't see the enemies and to this note I do think I made the flashlight too slim and too clunky to actually see something while its near you or the surroundings too dark.
I'm not familiar with mouse functionality on menus but I promise I will try it on my next project which is starting soon!
The disclaimer was hastily put together as part of the presentation I did as a student, I agree I should have made it skipable.

Thank you again for all the points, it really helps!