1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Top down roguelike shooter design question

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by KPJ, Jul 28, 2019.

1. KPJ

KPJ Member

Hi all. I am currently planning a fast paced - action - top down roguelike shooter project, inspired by games like Nuclear Throne - (the gameplay will also be similar to that of Nuclear Throne). I got thinking about how I wanted the levels, eventually deciding to generate them randomly (like most roguelikes). So, should I generate the levels in a way like Nuclear Throne does, in a process I believe is called "Drunken Walk" (a Heartbeast tutorial for this method is here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hds06We0_g0), or should I take another approach/algorithm? Do any of you have any guidelines or advice, or suggest a method as to what to do, or what you think would help me decide? Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Niels

Niels Member

I prefer the "chunk" design that enter the gungeon, dead cells, or spelunky use, where they link "pre-made" rooms together.
    This allows for a randomized layout, while keeping the rooms detailed and logical.

KPJ likes this.
  3. KPJ

KPJ Member

@Niels Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it :)