• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Scripts Top-Down Movement & Collision - Flexible Collision System for GMS 2022+

Banner.png
There's an in-browser playable demo that supports Keyboard and Controller input for testing purposes.

This asset has been out on the YoYo marketplace for a LONG time now, but I just recently created a new update that has better support for walls of all angles (rather than just 45 degree walls) as well as features like corner slipping.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here!

Last edited:
A

atmobeat

EDIT: the solution to my concern is that yes both the calling instance and the obj_checker need "precise per frame" selected but the calling instance can (and I assume usually will need to) use a different sprite for its collision mask. That mask can be any shape you want it to be. I'm a noob!

Hi PixelatedPope,

I posted this on the itch.io page and here as well but I thought you might not see my questions on Nocturne's thread and maybe you'll get it sooner here than on the itch.io page.

First, thanks for all you do for the GM community. Can you help me with something I don't quite understand with this method (which looks awesome btw)? In tile_meeting_precise you use place_meeting with precise collision checking selected for the obj_tile_wall collision type. First question: to use precise collision checking, both the obj_tile_wall and the calling instance have to have precise selected under the type of collision mask, right? That's what the manual says for place_meeting (http://127.0.0.1:51291/index.htm#t=...rhsearch=place_meeting&rhhlterm=place_meeting).

That should make the collision mask identical to the shape of the sprite, right? If that's right, how did you get the collision mask in the example game on the TDMC itch.io page to not include the sprite's hair? Are there two objects (the character and the green box) that move together with only one (the green box) checking for precise collisions? This is obviously important for our favorite genre of game (2.5d top-down) as you don't want the character's head running into wall above him which would undermine the fake 3d look. I don't see how this problem is solved just given the code posted on the yoyoblog and itch.io.

Last edited by a moderator:
Answered over on itch.
But here's a copy-paste:

The player object has "collision mask" assigned to it. This is set in the object panel just below where you assign the sprite.
The object will use the assigned sprite's mask for all collision checks. You can also do this yourself by setting the "mask_index" variable to any sprite.
In the draw event I then draw the mask index with draw_sprite(mask_index,0,x,y) at a 50% alpha and then draw the normal character sprite on top. This way I know the mask is lined up and positioned to the character as I expect.

Does it support Horizon Platformer?
And does it support dynamic object to interact?
No, it was not designed to be used in a platformer project. As for dynamic objects, it really depends on what you mean. You can have objects that move interact with other objects that move, but that interaction is pretty basic and isn't guaranteed to be exactly what you want. Each object will treat the other as if it is an immovable wall. So no built in pushing or repositioning of objects.

Zhanghua

No, it was not designed to be used in a platformer project. As for dynamic objects, it really depends on what you mean. You can have objects that move interact with other objects that move, but that interaction is pretty basic and isn't guaranteed to be exactly what you want. Each object will treat the other as if it is an immovable wall. So no built in pushing or repositioning of objects.
TKS for your reply
Gotcha that.
I am looking for some kind of collision system by which the player can move on the waving floor.

reset000

View attachment 49395
There's an in-browser playable demo that supports Keyboard and Controller input for testing purposes.

This asset has been out on the YoYo marketplace for a LONG time now, but I just recently created a new update that has better support for walls of all angles (rather than just 45 degree walls) as well as features like corner slipping.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here!
What is it? is it an extension you load into game maker, is it free link please.