Alpha Top Down Military Shooter Focusing on Tactics

TheOnlyWRT

Hey everyone!

So, I am one of those developers that has never made a serious game, but I just kinda work on whatever is interesting me at the moment. However, I have made some good, quick progress on my current project and thought I would share it on here and see what people think, There isn't a demo that is ready yet, and I've only been working on it for about a week, so it is a very rough game.

I wanted to make a top-down shooter that focused on tactics. Most shooters have you running around and getting shot several times before you die. You can just run into rooms without having to properly clear them because you can get shot and survive. Well, in this game, you cannot see the enemies until you have a direct line of sight. You have to manually reload and be cautious of your ammo, and if you get shot.... well, you go down and are out of the fight for that level. A lot of these functions are not implemented yet, but that's the general idea.

Feel free to let me know what you guys think!

I really loved door kicker some time ago. Which also had this view of you don't know where are the enemy beforehand.
The mechanics look really good.

Do you have a test file?

Some comments from what the youtube video :
- no sounds?
- you know the layer of each level in advance, so you kind of already know where to look for the enemy in a new room. Did you think about a kind of fog of war?
- did you designed each level or they are kinds of auto-generated (which is probably tough to do too).

- UI is good.
- Character move seems fluid, which is good.
- The wall that can be destroyed looks great. I want to throw grenade.
- the enemy sprite are all the same. Maybe just change some colour on them, same comment for the dead bodies.

Still, it's a comment from looking at your Youtube video. Not trying the game.

pixeltroid

Most shooters have you running around and getting shot several times before you die. You can just run into rooms without having to properly clear them because you can get shot and survive. Well, in this game, you cannot see the enemies until you have a direct line of sight. You have to manually reload and be cautious of your ammo, and if you get shot.... well, you go down and are out of the fight for that level.
Your "keep it as real as possible" approach sounds excellent! I like it already.

Although visually, it seems odd to see enemies disappear and appear from thin air. Perhaps you can use some interesting UI design to resolve that issue.

Interesting project. Keep us posted!