Top Down Dual DnD & GML Tutorial Series inspired by Gauntlet

Slyddar

GM Version: GMS2
Target Platform: ALL
Download: N/A
Links: N/A

Summary:
This is the GML start for a dual GML and DnD top down tutorial series, where we make a Gauntlet like game. The player will shoot enemies with his bow, and even throw bombs to destroy them. The enemies will have path finding algorithms, and we'll add visual effects to make a cool game you can show your friends.

In this episode we create the top down movement system for the player. We then add some walls and the collision code to allow the player to interact with them. This can easily be used for other instances so they can all collide when moving around your level.

I've previously shown how to do this in Drag and Drop, so this episode will allow GML users to catch up with DnD users, and I'll continue the series next episode adding sprites, and showing how to do it in both GML and DnD.

This type of top down prototype was what led to me working on my own game, Keepers of Pyrite. It's a couch coop 4 player top down action game, so sharing some knowledge on this genre, via a tutorial, seemed like a good fit. Hope it helps someone get closer to their goal.

The first episode for DnD is available over on the other thread - https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/top-down-drag-and-drop-tutorial.80577/

Last edited:

Slyddar

Episode 2 is now available as a dual GML and DND tutorial.

In this one we continue our top down journey towards Gauntlet as we setup the correct sprites for the players movement, and add a bow that follows the mouse movements.

Slyddar

Episode 3 is now available as a another dual GML and DND tutorial.

In this tutorial we create the projectile which shoots towards the mouse, and we give the bow a small animation when firing.

Slyddar

Episode 4 is now available as a another dual GML and DND tutorial.

In this tutorial we continue our top down journey creating enemy AI which detects the player, and then uses path finding to follow them, while avoiding walls. We also add code to destroy the enemy with arrows.

Slyddar

Episode 5 is now available as a another dual GML and DND tutorial.

This time we add something I love incorporating in many objects in my games, a state machine. It's ideal for enemies and players, and enables management and sprite assignments to be a breeze. We also take some time to improve the enemy AI.

Vynce121

I love this tutorial! its been so helpful for me, i'm super new to GMS and coding in general and this as been an amazing help. thank you so much, looking forward to the rest of the series

Slyddar

Episode 6 is now available as a another dual GML and Visual tutorial.

In this one we continue our top down Gauntlet journey as we learn to knockback the enemy, add a damage entity function, a healthbar and finally an enemy death animation.

Slyddar

Episode 7, Enemy Attacks, is now available.

In this tutorial we fix a few bugs, add an enemy attack and knockback, add a player dead state and knockback, and add a flash for entities when they get damaged.

Slyddar

Episode 9, Area of Effect (AoE) damage, is now available.

In this tutorial we continue our top down journey towards Gauntlet as we implement a bomb the player can throw to deal damage to a group of enemies, and even themselves. This area of effect can be reused in other objects whenever you want to deal damage to a group of enemies. I also show how I use the effect in Keepers of Pyrite.

Slyddar

Episode 10, Dashing with iFrames, is now available.

In this tutorial we continue our top down journey towards Gauntlet as we implement a dash the player can use to evade enemies, or bombs, to speed up their movement, or to dash through an enemy and avoid taking damage. We add a simple animation to show the dash effect, and a flash to indicate the dash is ready to use again.

Slyddar

Episode 11, Adding FX, is now available.

In this tutorial we implement visual and sound FX which align the game with the project I showed all the way back in Episode 1. We add dust trails for all entities, a hit effect and many sound effects to make the game come alive. We also discuss a free tier Patreon bonus, which you can find over at https://www.patreon.com/posts/99435959.

Last edited: