Tools & resources for making your Jam game

Discussion in 'GMC Jam' started by Alice, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Alice

Alice Toolmaker of Bucuresti Forum Staff Moderator

This is a collection of freely available tools and resources that might come in handy when creating your Jam games, similar to same-titled topic on the old forum made by @Dark. If you use some of assets listed here, please remember to include a proper credit in your Jam entry!

Feel free to post other useful resources you can find. In this case, "useful" should mean something you would personally use (or even already used in past Jams) rather than something that maybe, possibly, would come in handy for others. The general idea is that a concise and well-organised list of great tools/assets is preferred to an exhaustive list of okay ones.

Also, if you have made a tool and are successfully using it, it's great, but I'd prefer if at least one other person confirmed they're using that tool successfully as well. That's because as a developer, you obviously should know the inner workings and tricks available - something other users might not be aware of. Thus, it is preferred that someone else posts your tool here instead of you, as something they personally found useful.

General
    Resources that encompass a wide range of categories.
    GameMaker Marketplace - contains free and paid assets and code

Mechanics
    Useful scripts, libraries, engines, extensions and code generators.
    GML scripts - a collection of scripts
    GM Toolbox - a collection of all GM extensions

Graphics
    Graphics editors, tools and collections. Fonts go here as well.
    Editors:
    • Aseprite - for creating pixel art and animations
    • Blender - for creating 3D graphics
    • Inkscape - for creating vector graphics
    • GIMP - a general purpose image editor, similar to Photoshop but simpler and free
    Particle tools:
    Graphic collections:
    • OpenGameArt.org - collection of a wide variety of graphics contributed by talented artists

Audio
    Programs for composing music, creating/generating sound effects and manipulating sounds. Also, collections of soundtracks and sound effects.
    Music creation:

Sound effects creation:
    • BFXR - a sound effect generator

Music collections:

Management
    Tools for general project management (design, planning, communication etc.), whether for a single person or a team.
    None yet.

Miscellaneous
    Resources that don't fit into the categories above.
    Blender to GM D3D export - a Python script to convert Blender model to GM D3D script
    Tileset Champion - for generating scalable tile maps

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2017
  2. FruitPunchGuy

FruitPunchGuy Member

Famitracker's pretty good at making 8-bit tracks. I'm currently using it for making game tracks and sound effects (I'm pretty meh tho).
    Besides Famitracker, I've also used LMMS. It's pretty similar to FL Studio, using VSTs and all.

Famitracker: http://famitracker.com/
    LMMS: https://lmms.io/

3. GhostlyFeline

GhostlyFeline Member

Inkscape is a great program for 2D vector graphics. I use it for a lot of my stuff. Highly recommended.
    Inkscape: https://inkscape.org/

Destroy and Alice like this.
  4. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

Okay, I'm going to suggest everything from the old topic because I'm sick of cross-referencing to it.

5. Kousenai

Kousenai Furry Flaebae

Might be better off restarting it as some of those tools are outdated by now.

6. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

I still frequent several of the sites... but then again, if nobody else is aware of them, I get an advantage in the jam... *rubs hands* Okay, I'm with you @Kousenai~

ParodyKnaveBob and Kousenai like this.
  7. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

ParodyKnaveBob and KurtBlissZ like this.
  8. Acr515

Acr515 Member

When I create games, my favorite engine to use is GameMaker: Studio. It's very easy to use and quite handy for making games quickly.

9. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

@Acr515: This is the GameMaker Community Jam (GMC Jam) so... it's pretty much obvious that the only engine that you are supposed (and allowed) to use is GameMaker. Aside from that, everybody already uses it here. ^^"

@Yal: Please spoiler your suggestion in post #4. The page's gone enormous. ^^

10. Zerb Games

Zerb Games Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  11. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

12. hippyman

hippyman Member

13. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

In the MISC section you should include Tileset Champion, as it's essential for getting good scaleable tilemaps in GMS:
    http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=546371

Another MISC tool would be GMare, an external room editor:
    http://gmare.codeplex.com/

For GRAPHICS you might want to include Sparks and Particle Designer 2 for those that want to work easily with particles or particle sprites:
    http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=539511
    http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=290449

For MUSIC, you can turn any midi track into a Famicom MP3 using GXSCC from Gashisoft:
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-SanJose/8700/P/GsorigE.htm

And I'd also add Incompetech (Kevin McLeod) to the list of MUSIC resources:
    http://incompetech.com/music/

14. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

Spent some hours experimenting with some music creation and editing tools and these are the best ones IMO:

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  15. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

Wait, quotes get auto-expanded for you? The whole thing looks like this for me (and practically works like a spoiler)
    upload_2016-7-16_13-2-10.png

16. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

@Yal: Seems so. I have to collapse it every time I open this topic. Quotes with source (name of the author, poststamp and timestamp) are the only ones that seem to be collapsed by default. All the content is explicit in case of manual quotes. At least for me. >.<

17. Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn Member

Even more usefully, it also lets you do global search and replace operations (optionally with RegEx) in GM:S projects.

faissaloo and Zerb Games like this.
  18. Alice

Alice Toolmaker of Bucuresti Forum Staff Moderator

Just a reminder, people, this list is supposed to be a neat, concise collection of great tools and assets, not a list of all potentially useful resources in existence (with potentially sometimes meaning "if better resources suddenly disappeared").

That's also why I asked for tools you people use rather than merely know about.
    If you use it, that probably means it's the best tool you know for a given job and you're better off with it than without.
    If you simply know about it without using it yourself, then it's possible it's not that practical after all (just because functionality exists doesn't mean that the tool can be practically used during a Jam).
    If you use it, but it's your own tool, there's a chance other people will find the tool confusing.

With that in mind, re-posting the old Tools & Resources thread, linking to a multitude of pixel-art editors (I doubt one person would use all of these at once) or mentioning one sound generator then linking to another one which is "essentially the same thing" seems to miss the point. It's not like I don't appreciate your help, but I'd prefer if it was more directed - keep your list to what you use yourself. Phrases like "I used that and it saved me some time" or "I do all my pixel-art in it" are welcome, too, to make sure you understand what I asked for. ^^'

People might not have time and will to try and learn tens of different tools, so let's give them the best ones. ;)

19. Nocturne

I have used every single one of those programs for making my (admittedly few) Jam games (except GMare)...

20. Aura

Aura Puppeteer of Hail

I have used all the image editors that I linked to for a time long enough for me to suggest people to use them... ^^'

As for the music composition and editing/rendering tools that I linked to, I have been using FamiTracker and Audacity for a lot of time now. (I tried Bfxr and Musagi specifically for this list though.) And I'd like to suggest Milkytracker too:

http://www.milkytracker.org

It's a general-purpose suite for music composition (and way easier to use than Famitracker IMO) that everyone'd recommend. ^^"

21. Tselmek

Tselmek Member

Regarding sound effects, I use Chiptone which is a visually clearer handy dandy version of sfxr. I've been using it for sound effects whenever I couldn't get a foley artist on board and as far as my use go, it's got most of if not all features sfxr offers but in a more easily understandable environment. It seems to be in development still but the sound effects part is fully-fledged and fully usable.

Nallebeorn likes this.
  22. Micah_DS

Micah_DS Member

If anyone is strapped for cash and needs a free graphic tool option for 2D tiling and sprite graphics, I highly recommend Paint.NET ALONG WITH the community-made AnimationEffect.dll (made by "recursor").
    That DLL allows you to create GIF animations very easily, and all inside of Paint.NET. It's the fastest and easiest free option I'm personally aware of.

EDIT:
    I guess I should note that the AnimationEffect.dll is still a tad buggy (it's still beta), but the bugs are only minor things that I've noticed and it's still very usable.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  23. Misty

Misty Member

Am I allowed to put copyrighted music in my game jam games?

What about uncopyrighted clip art?

24. MikeDark_x

MikeDark_x Member

As far as I know, no
    Well in such cases I think the one who owns the clip art is the person who made it, so if you have permission, or for example, the piece is Creative Commons, all you'll need to do is mention the artist, and even better, if you don't want that, just get CC0 stuff, you can freely use CC0 stuff without saying who made it

25. betitoas1

betitoas1 Member

Bosca Ceoil is a good option too

26. zminusone

zminusone Member

I have about 4 hours of pretty high quality music on a soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/zminusone

Most of it I think I can make available for a game if it works for yours; however I do have consider your game just slightly since it isn't entirely free for me, since it forever limits the music to a non-exclusive license for instance. Also not everything is available due to previous license agreements, etc. But feel free to PM with details of your game if you find something that might work in your jam and I'll definitely consider it!

Ultimately, I'd like to help as many people as I can! Someone requested really recently so I thought maybe it was worth posting it for the community to consider. Again It's not 100%; I do have to weigh the music's future equity to be licensed exclusively for instance.

-Brian

27. KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  28. HayManMarc

HayManMarc Member

Can we have a category (or a new thread) for tips and suggestions about making a successful jam game? (@Alice ?)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  29. zircher

zircher Member

For team communication, I'm a big fan of Discord. Free, multiple platforms, persistent chat, voice, etc. https://discordapp.com/

30. Nocturne

Can I just second this? Seriously it MUST be put on the list... only just discovered it recently and it's still in early stages, but it already knocks SFXR and BFXR out of the ballpark. Seriously, a very, very good tool...

31. seanm

seanm Member

@Nocturne any way to go back to the previous sound?

32. GhostlyFeline

GhostlyFeline Member

I use Spriter for skeletal character animation. If you don't want to do sprite animation by hand, it's a pretty good alternative. Also it has a useful free version.

Maximus and zircher like this.
  33. Negastar

Negastar Member

For music, I like to use FL Studio. There's a good list of instruments and sound effects in the free version, and creating samples/tracks is relatively easy. The main drawback is that you can't open saved projects unless you upgrade, so my suggestion would be to try to finish a song in one day, or make a good sample to reference to when you are ready to finish.

34. KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  35. Aviox

Aviox Member

My favorite pixel art tool is Pyxel Edit!

It's in beta, but still highly functional, and worth the low pricetag, imo.

KurtBlissZ likes this.
  36. Kousenai

Kousenai Furry Flaebae

As mentioned before, FL Studio is a good program but is a pain to use if you don't upgrade.

I'd definitely like to re-mention Krita - primarily for painting, a very handy (and free!) program for art. It also has a nifty animation feature, since the recent v3.0. Open source, frequent feature updates. I've used it since v2.9. Great program.

sylvain_l and JimmyBG like this.
  37. Posho

Posho Member

38. Dark

Dark Member

For pixel art spriting I recommend a tool called Grafx2:
    http://pulkomandy.tk/projects/GrafX2

It can be a bit of a hurdle to learn for people who haven't used a similar tool before, but it's really awesome and worth it. Lots of cool features like a shading tool that uses a custom defined ramp, a good palette system, color reduction, linear/3D gradients with optional dithering, and extensibility with lua scripts.

Also here's a brightness and contrast script I made for it that I always end up using a ton to make my pixel art look nicer https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0NyOdPoeBMheU1iRnprM01sOG8

Yal and Galladhan like this.
  39. nix0nax

nix0nax Member

There's a great project management service called Trello. It supports teams aswell. (Though nothing can beat a pen and paper when you're working alone)

And for pixel art I always use GraphicsGale. I'm pretty sure you could use it for regular drawing though it is more pixel art based.

40. Timo.Ross

Timo.Ross Member

with my experience, i would say you shouldn't.

41. Edmanbosch

Edmanbosch Member

A great tool for project management that I use is http://hacknplan.com/. It has many cool features for game dev such as platform marking tasks to specific platforms, a visual game design document editor, and milestones to mark your progress with your game.

42. BoltsFellOff

BoltsFellOff Member

Pyxel Edit is a great addition to Graphics's listing. I use it and Aseprite, currently to see which is better for my use cases.

43. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob theUndiscovered

I read this just now and immediately thought, how's this empty? How's Trello not listed?

Then, before posting, y'know, lemme check the thread (and simultaneously ponder how no one else had mentioned it)...

Oh. $:^ P

I can attest to this thing being great. It super streamlined and organized communication and project management between one partner and me, and I've even started using it on solo projects (as being better than the Game Information help.rtf). I have one public board -- Card Hunter Battle Replayer, a tool I'm building in GM. (And, ironically, I'm pretty sure I first heard of Trello from KurtBlissZ's post here anyway, ha.)

44. rio-85

rio-85 Member

Nice, thanks!

45. Aegirbard

Aegirbard Member

I wish I had known about this before; I'm certainly going to make use of it in the future to compose music for jams..

46. Mahdarah

Mahdarah Member

You should probably mention that Aseprite is paid. A tool that I use for all my music is Beepbox. Beepbox works in your browser and is super easy to use, and very useful, for beginner game developers.
    http://www.beepbox.co

47. Lukasmah

Lukasmah Member

Here's a CC0 sample pack (also comes with synth presets). It was made for LMMS because, although LMMS itself is free and all that, the sample licensing is a bit tricky so the assets are being replaced. It's far from complete and is mostly percussion.

https://github.com/LMMS/assets

48. Misty

Misty Member

Yal posted about the Open bundle. I really want this but the link doesn't work. The link is from newgrounds. Does anyone have the open bundle because I don't want to miss out.

49. MyChristina

MyChristina Member

Hello all!

All of this is very useful, thanks.

I was thinking of organising a game jam with people with no previous experiences either with GM or with programming. Do you know where I could find a toolkit with DragAndDrop features explained and with examples? I think something really, really simple.

Thank you very much!!