Windows [TOOL] Room designer program (GM 1.4)

Lioran

Level design and making tons of rooms can be extremely boring,long and repetitive. I'm currently working to remedy that by making a program that makes it a lot quicker to design rooms.(Disclaimer I've not searched for one, so i don't know if there is a better one of even one at all out there.)

What this program allows you to do
-Real time Tile animation/motion/parallax.
-Have brushes with different variance with a randomness selection.
-Connection between brushes to switch rapidly between them at the right time.
-Adding objects to your project from this program aswell.

Download link: http://lioran.servehttp.com/map_maker_2.rar
Currently can only save for the program, can not export your room to be used in your game.
Make sure to leave feedback this is actually my second attempt at making an app like that.
First version was never shown to anyone though.

So let me explain how the program works a little bit.
This might be a lot of information to digest, I'll do my best.

First
You can navigate the canvas using WASD so that your hands are close to CLTR/ALT/Shift at all time while designing the room.

The brushes and texture window
upload_2017-12-13_15-44-15.png
On the brush window top row is just to add, delete and navigate through brushes.

The second row is for variance, Those are just supposed to be somewhat the same , like you can have floor tiles some with rocks some with grass some with nothing. so that it will alternate between them.
first 2 button are for navigation, 3rd button is for adding a **batch tile set**, 4th is for adding currently selected texture region as a single tile. 5th/6th is to replace a current variance with batch or tile. then followed by delete/zoom+/-

The third row is the white box. That's the chance of occurrence (not in percentage). followed by the connections. When you add a connection a new window will pop and you will have to choose what brush connect with which in what direction.Green arrow will show where the connection happen and it will connect to where the red arrow points. So that when you put a brush down, If you want something that connects to it going to the right. You press Right arrow on your keyboard and it will give you the first connection for that brush. press it again for the second one will popup. Now if you get the right one but don't like that particular variance. Press Shift to alternate between the variances and then press Enter to confirm that selection.

By default when you add tiles in the room its always gonna be normal mode, which means just add the texture region you have currently selected. If you press the brush icon on the texture window you will go into brush mode, You can quickly go though brush with Q and E and you can select a specifict variance using 1-0.
Left of the brush icon is tile scaling (doesnt work on brushes.) right of it is alpha meter.
and below that you have 4 different texture to swap from(icon appearance is just for show.) X/Y grid of the texture and RBG blend or X/Y scale. Also "..." to load a texture in (texture are saved with the project)
You can navigate the the texture with right click hold.
**To make a batch tile set you just temporarily put all the tiles you want to add onto the canvas and hold CTRL and Right click drag your mouse to select the region you want to copy(it will cut the outside region), what you select will be put into the batch tile and can be added to the brushes.
BRUSHES ARE INDEPENDENT OF THE PROJECT, THEY ARE SAVED SEPERATLY

Animation features

Parallax will turn an entire layer into a parallax of the desired amplitude.
Tile ani. is tile alternation so you can have like an animated flame.(can be entire layer aswell)
Tile Shader can make a tile shift color or alpha
Tile mov. can make a tile go from point A to point B or in a circle.

Instance window
upload_2017-12-13_15-47-17.png
This is for when you load the room into your game, So you can add the object now.
and also have included variable and how they should be saved(this is to replace room creation code.)
INSTANCE ARE INDEPENDENT OF THE PROJECT, THEY ARE SAVED SEPERATLY
(exept for those you added into the room, make sure the right instance list is loaded when you load your saved room)

Lastly the room value window
upload_2017-12-13_15-48-39.png
There is the room width and height.
Room number and name(up to you what you do with those)
background color
And random room reals and strings, you can rename all the values.
These can be used for various things such as what area number this is, or what music to load and such.
this is up to you what you do with these.

Last edited:

Lioran

Been working on it even more and now its close to completion. Grid system is completed and room compiler aswell.
I made the room compiler full customizable through text file editing.
Its for more advanced users, has its own synthax which is pretty straight forward.
I'll post it when im done testing it adding the last few feature, not much left to add right now though.
Download link will still remain the old version for now.