1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Asset - Extension [Tool] Launcher (for Windows, macOS, and Linux)

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Samuel Venable, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

This asset I won't be hosting on the Marketplace because it doesn't fit well in any of the resource categories, as it is a standalone exe and not a dll.

But it is a tool that some GM users might benefit from, so that said, it is still GM related.

Download here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/njhywf61plj56fg/AABbIu_bAU1KtAmE2b676gTqa?dl=0

Mac users will need to package the executable into an App Bundle manually, as well as codesign it if they want it to be easier to run for end users.

Source code included.

Edit the config.ini file to determine what the application does.

Change the ini value for cmd1 to set a proper install command.

On Windows this is particularly useful if you want to install DirectX which is required and not all systems have the version you need. On Linux this may be used for installing dependencies via a shell script silently, and using a tool that comes with Ubuntu such as zenity to display a password input and other various dialogs you might need access to from the command line. If you wrote an extension for Mac that needs XQuartz installed, you may execute an installer for that as well so you may use the X Window Server on Mac.

Change the value of cmd2 to set a post-install command.

This can be used to open a game readme file, the game developer's website, or prompt the user with a shell script dialog of whether to run the application now that installation is complete, i.e. via wscript.exe on Windows, osascript on Mac, or zenity/kdialog on Linux depending on the distro.

Change the value of ms in the ini file to set a sleep value in milliseconds which determines how long the application should wait before executing the post-install command.

Outside the world of installers, the value of ms could be written to a random value or longer duration by the first executable being run in cmd1, ideal for running fullscreen jump scare executables or sound files for after running a horror game.

Also note you can write to the ini file with the executable run with cmd1 to not only change the ms interval, but also you may make the second exe or command that should run conditional, but writing to the value of cmd2 from the exe run by cmd1.

It's a bit niche, but I figured it would be useful to some people. I'm using it, and I made it as a request from @matharoo.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    matharoo likes this.