Too focused on progress?

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

'Ello 'ello 'ello ladies and gentlespoons!

I have been working on creating a specific game since February 2019 and I am getting closer and closer to a finished demo sample for public use... The thing is that I am rather anxious about the idea of releasing something I have worked really hard on to no avail, and I find myself finding extra things to polish and add in place of plonking the end teaser for the finished game on the end and uploading / promoting it :S

Do you fine folks ever find yourselves in this situation?

2Dcube

Have you shown it to friends or other people? It might be a good idea to show it to a small group of people and get some feedback. This should also release some of the pressure when you start the public release/promotion.

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

Have you shown it to friends or other people? It might be a good idea to show it to a small group of people and get some feedback. This should also release some of the pressure when you start the public release/promotion.
Indeed I have my friend :D I have gone through around 14 versions so far with a few friends as closed QA Testers as it were :p

pixeltroid

'Ello 'ello 'ello ladies and gentlespoons!

I have been working on creating a specific game since February 2019 and I am getting closer and closer to a finished demo sample for public use...
you WILL release a more refined version in the future. So don't get too anxious about the demo you're about to release.

To take the pressure off, just release a stripped down version of the game for people to play test. Take their feedback and implement changes into your demo, and then release that version.

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

you WILL release a more refined version in the future. So don't get too anxious about the demo you're about to release.

To take the pressure off, just release a stripped down version of the game for people to play test. Take their feedback and implement changes into your demo, and then release that version.
I heavily HEAVILY appreciate this my friend! I have as such released a demo of the game and we shall see what happens ;)

This looks more like too much scope creep than too much "focus on progress". Set a list of basic features that the public demo will need, and release the demo when these features and these features only have been developed and tested.
You have a very good point here my friend in terms of Scope being the issue rather than focus on progress :) I have worked on the core mechanics that I had set out in my GDD to start and the demo encompasses all of that :D Thank you :)

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Who says you can't have both? If you release a demo version early, you get a place where you can post progress updates to boost not just your views / likes / people noticing you numbers, but also your own self-confidence since you suddenly have proof of everything you've achieved so far.

A

Andrew R. C. Beck

Who says you can't have both? If you release a demo version early, you get a place where you can post progress updates to boost not just your views / likes / people noticing you numbers, but also your own self-confidence since you suddenly have proof of everything you've achieved so far.
You know what Yal? You are 100% right there! It gives me the platform whilst I carry on working as well as building confidence in my work! Thank you :D