Legacy GM To address one of the many

mafon2

Ok, I'm sure it's trivial thing many of you struggled with.

I'd like to make a block that crumbles, when contacting fallin player or special block.

Here's the code:

Code:
if (place_meeting(x,y-Movable_block.speedY,Movable_block))
{
        instance_destroy();
}
As you can see, it affects all of the Movable_blocks so it can work only with one of 'em per room. How do you adress the particular block the instance collides with?

I tried juggling with "other" with no result. I would have wrote these lines in Movable_block, but due to their common parrent that deals with collisions it's a mess I can't walk through.

jo-thijs

Hi and welcome to the GMC!

I'm not sure which object is executing the code you just posted.
Is it Movable_block that has to "crumble"?
In that case, try:
Code:
with Movable_block
    if place_meeting(x, y + speedY, other)
        instance_destroy();
Otherwise, try:
Code:
with Movable_block
    if place_meeting(x, y + speedY, other)
        with other
            instance_destroy();
You might also be interested in reading up on instance_place.

mafon2

Thanks for the quick replies.

The code is in obj_rubble (yeah, the names of instances lack unification). Obj_rubble should crumble if it's hit with something. For now the only things that are planned to hit it are either Player_char or Movable_block. Beforementioned code works fine with Player_char or single Movable_block, but doesn't work with multiple blocks, cause it gets speedY and position from all Movable_blocks instances.

In perfect world it should be that Movable_block falls on obj_rubble and destroys it, while other Movable_block neatly minds its own business.

I'll try the later code jo-thijs posted and report the situation.

Last edited:
If you want to access specific instances of objects outside of collision events, you have to capture the instance ID when using collision functions, roughly as follows:

Code:
var inst = instance_place(x, y + 1, obj_solid);

if (inst != noone)
{
    with (inst)
    {
        instance_destroy(); // This would destroy the block the calling instance is "standing" on.
    }
}

mafon2

Jo-thijs, your solution works. Thank you.

I didn't know there're "withs". And it's hard for me to understand the rules of scripting. I thought the problem was harder than it is...

Stainedofmind, thank you too, it'll be helpful later. As I understand you suggest to use some kind of an additional "matte" to check the collision?

P.S. I used to have an account on the old forum and drove some guy to glowing frustration with my questions.