• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Tips on Keeping Sprites Consistent?

Y

Yeggs

I'm working on art assets for my game right now, but I'm struggling with animation. I'm having trouble keeping character proportions consistent between player sprites, sometimes even between frames (Specifically on walking animations). Does anyone have any advice on animation, or even just pixel art in general? I'm pretty experienced with regular art but this feels like a completely different beast to me.

G

Guitarmike

For frame-to-frame, onionskin is your friend. Depending on the type of game you're making, for sprite to sprite it can be important to pay attention to where you put the sprite's origin. In my platformer, I had problems when the origin was not a uniform distance from the BOTTOM of the sprite. So if I had one sprite that was 100 px tall and the origin was at 50x50 and another one that was 90px tall, I had to be careful to make sure the origin for the second sprite was at 50,40. In both cases, the origin is 50px from the bottom of the sprite.