• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Tips for upgrade hardware to reduce compile time

Hi,
Recently I'm working with HD games , that has more texture pages and bigger sprite assets used.

My PC :
pentium i7 3770
Radeon RX 570 8GB
HD 1 Tera
16 GB DDR3 Ram
MainBoard GigaByte Q77M-D2H (support DDR3 , 2 Sata3 and 4 Sata2)

And I can't afford for now in buy a new PC from scratch (10.000 - 15000 reais is required)
So I'm thinking in make some smaller upgrades that could impact with compile time.

So my ideas would be :
1- ) add more 16 GB DDR3 (my mainboard support 32 at max)
2- ) replace HD for a SSD of 960 GB (the popular brand here is Kingston) , and transfer windows 10 and GMS2 to SSD)

Which options would improve better the compile time (mainly the one after the first) ? Both ? A third option ? Or I need think in another way ?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
More faster SSD, CPU and RAM memory.
  • SSD -> Access project files faster
  • CPU -> Compile the code faster
  • RAM -> Store textures and other volatile stuff faster
If I sort in order of importance: SSD > CPU > RAM.
HDs tend to be much slower (with physical rotations of 5900 or 7200 RPM).

Use at least DDR4 memory above (I know it will only be possible when changing the motherboard).

Your processor is third generation, even being i7. We already have the 11th generation.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I agree that the SSD is going to get you the most bang for the buck. And you can reuse it later as well. I'm guessing your MOBO doesn't have M.2 so you will need a SATA SSD. When you finally do get a newer system, you will likely be skipping DDR4 completely and getting on the DDR5 wagon and hopefully using an M.2 SSD, so the SATA one you use today would serve for an extra internal drive at that point.

The CPU and RAM certainly do make a difference, but since those are both linked to the MOBO you are almost going to just be getting a whole new system by that point.

Cameron

@Leandro Saccoletto This is sort of a different angle to your question but another thing you can do is use GMLive by @YellowAfterlife. It won't make your compile times any faster but what it will do is make it so you can make changes without needing to re-compile. It's possible you already use it, I've worked with you on a project before "Rising Lords" and I can't remember if we had GMLive when you were working on it but just in case you hadn't considered it yet I would look into that in addition to the other recommendations here.

First, thanks for all the opinions. Now I know better the impact of each part of a CPU.
Recently I found a site called "meuPC" (a brazillian site, but I believe that has an similar site in English) that I can make a setup of a CPU.
You can filter the pieces (by price, type, number of slots, frequency , ....) . And they limit option based your previous choices. So it checks compatibilities between pieces and warnings of what need be changed.

From the info that I collected so far, I think that is better to me buy in steps. First, buying core i7 10700K (11700K doesn't have a notable diference to pay a higher price), next buy a videocard (maybe one that supports raytracing, and the most expensive part of the CPU). And in the end, buy the rest with a computer technician (SSD , 16-32 gb DDR4, cooler , power source , mother board, cabinet).
While I develop my new CPU , if the HD-game gets bigger and slower, I use GMLive to save time when tweak variable values or change enemy/boss behaviours.

Stra

Here are some numbers FYI, maybe someone else can chime in so you can make a more informed comparison between old and new computers.

intel i7 870 compile vm 11.5s compile vm+load 16.0s compile yyc 3:00 min | ssd 8GB ram
...amd 3400g compile vm 7.5s .compile vm+load 11.0s compile yyc 2:10 min | ssd 8GB ram

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
My results compiling a medium size project:

Compile time:
Windows:
  • VM: 2.63 sec
  • VM x64: 2.72 sec
  • YYC: 13.81 sec
  • YYC x64 12.87 sec
Android:
  • VM: 41.32 sec
  • YYC: 57.23 sec

My Setup:
Intel Core i3 10100F
SSD 240 GB
RAM 2x8 (16) GB DDR4, 2400 Mhz
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti, 4 GB VRAM (8GB shared), DirectX 12.

Another question . Does AMD Ryzen Processor works well with Game Maker Studio 2.3 ?

I'll receive a list of hardware that I can buy to upgrade my PC, and I was asked if I have a preference with Intel or Amd.
I used intel normally when I was kid and it was the only "good" option in that time. But now that has a stronger competitor , which prices and quality can rival it, maybe I need be more wiser with money.
Plus at Game Maker's requisites says "64bit Intel compatible Quad Core CPU" but I don't know how much is "compatible" the AMD Ryzen (due lack of experience).

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Another question . Does AMD Ryzen Processor works well with Game Maker Studio 2.3 ?

I'll receive a list of hardware that I can buy to upgrade my PC, and I was asked if I have a preference with Intel or Amd.
I used intel normally when I was kid and it was the only "good" option in that time. But now that has a stronger competitor , which prices and quality can rival it, maybe I need be more wiser with money.
Plus at Game Maker's requisites says "64bit Intel compatible Quad Core CPU" but I don't know how much is "compatible" the AMD Ryzen (due lack of experience).
Yes, Ryzen is compatible.

As far as to which is better, you will certainly get different opinions from different people. It has generally always been that Intel had better core performance(for a price), while AMD has had more cores that aren't quite as fast(but for a better deal). But, I've seen that things change and it seems that Ryzen may even be getting faster even looking at individual cores in some cases. All said, in reality you are probably better off getting whatever processor is better at the price range you have. The CPU is probably not going to be the bottleneck either way, as it has almost always been the GPU or the Hard Drive being what slows things down for most people doing most things(once you get past a certain point with the CPU anyway).

So I did my upgrade :

i5 11400f
placa-mãe Asus B560M,
2x8GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 3200Mhz,
SSD 1TB WD Blue (M2 type) (I keep my HDD of 1 TB too)

So for almost game project (Dyna Bomb 2) :
before the upgrade : 3 min 20 s at first compile ( 27 s at second and more compiles)
after the upgrade : 1 min 10 s at first compile (15 s at second and more compiles)

In others projects I notice that first compile time reduced by 60%~ and 50%~ at sequential next compiles.
I did another test, with the game project at the HDD and at SSD M2 , and I didn't notice a relevant difference.

Maybe if I have 8 cores instead than 6 cores, it could compile more faster.

Roldy

Does AMD Ryzen Processor works well with Game Maker Studio 2.3 ?

You already did the upgade and did not go for AMD cpus.

I was reading the thread and wanted to point out something about AMD processors. They typically have no integrated graphics ability. The integrated graphics are on board intel CPUs, not so with most (all?) AMD.

This can cause problems when initially setting up or having issues with dedicated graphics cards.

I've seen several people not realize this and run into confusion and get stuck trying to troubleshoot system issues. Just thought I'd mention it. But it is irrelevant now for your case.

I decided revive the post, when more hardware questions appears and I'm watching more hardware youtube videos.
My current PC :

i5 11400f
mother board Asus B560M,
2x8GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 3200Mhz,
SSD 1TB WD Blue (M2 type) (I keep my HDD of 1 TB too)
RTX 3060 ti 8GB

My PC is very good in the current shape, but after my first upgrade , I'm already think in a future upgrade kkkk. (in case that appears a sale).
So I wanted know if someone here already uses a 12th generation processor (the versions that have "p-cores" and "e-cores", which sum can be 10 (for i5) or more cores, depending of product) ,that has a improvement in the compiling time.
Or just focus the current generation with a i7 (that has 2 more cores compared at i5 of 11th).
For 12th generation it has an extra cost to buy a motherboard with socket 1700 (that I don't know that will be kept to a future 13th).

Stra

Here are some numbers FYI, maybe someone else can chime in so you can make a more informed comparison between old and new computers.

intel i7 870 compile vm 11.5s compile vm+load 16.0s compile yyc 3:00 min | ssd 8GB ram
...amd 3400g compile vm 7.5s .compile vm+load 11.0s compile yyc 2:10 min | ssd 8GB ram

Here is a bit of an update from another computer:

intel i7 870 (ssd, 8GB ram) compile vm 22.0s compile vm+load 26.0s compile yyc (2nd+ run) 4:40 min
...amd 3400g (ssd, 8GB ram) compile vm 13.5s compile vm+load 16.5s
...amd 5600g (ssd, 8GB ram) compile vm 9.5s .compile vm+load 12.0s compile yyc (2nd+ run) 1:47 min

I'd love some numbers from the latest Intel 13000 series if anyone has any to share (comparing old vs. new).

Also, what is your general suggestion for Gamemaker? Highest IPC possible or more cores? Do more cores even play a role in YYC, I think they don't in VM?

Maybe you could look at isolating the pieces of code that need to be executed for testing purposes. I usually do something like this then wrap it up at the end.

gnysek

does speed of SSD also changes something? cause we're now in era where cheaper SSD can be 5-6x slower than top ones, and I wonder what have biggest impact on compile time -- SSD speed, clock speed, or RAM speed (as I believe that GPU or SSD/RAM capacity doesn't matter).

Stra

does speed of SSD also changes something? cause we're now in era where cheaper SSD can be 5-6x slower than top ones, and I wonder what have biggest impact on compile time -- SSD speed, clock speed, or RAM speed (as I believe that GPU or SSD/RAM capacity doesn't matter).
Good question, unfortunately I don't have any data on the SSD front, all 3 of them are SATA on par with a Corsair MX500, so 4+ years old and not much difference between them. A top tier NVMe drive with millions of IOPS could in theory make a noticeable difference.

Honestly I thought there would be more of a difference between a new mid range processor and the one that is almost 13 years old (compile times are roughly halved), maybe there just isn't enough parallelization when Gamemaker is compiling? @rwkay

Stra

intel i7 870 (ssd, 8GB ram) compile vm 22.0s compile vm+load 26.0s compile yyc (2nd+ run) 4:40 min
...amd 3400g (ssd, 8GB ram) compile vm 13.5s compile vm+load 16.5s
...amd 5600g (ssd, 8GB ram) compile vm 9.5s .compile vm+load 12.0s compile yyc (2nd+ run) 1:47 min

I've stumbled upon this page: https://tech4gamers.com/ryzen-5-7600x-vs-ryzen-5-5600x-gaming-productivity/#linux-kernel-compilation

According to those numbers a rough estimate would be that a new AMD 7600x would be approx. 4x as fast in compiling workloads as the firstly mentioned 13 year old Intel (as it is roughly 30% faster than a 5600). Now that looks a bit better and sounds like a relatively solid performance bump.

@Dan does Yoyo have any firsthand suggestions/info on that front? More cores? Faster single core? Which is better specifically for Gamemaker? I'm betting faster single core for VM, but what about YYC?

Stra

Latest update:

GML:
                                              load project    compile VM from clean       cached VM compile       compile YYC from clean      cached YYC compile (no full comp.)      cached YYC compile (with full comp.)
    intel i7 870 (1st gen)      SSD/8GB           33s         1:35 min                    28s                     8:07 min                    1:40 min                                5:30 min
    amd 3400g                   SSD/8GB           15s         0:56 min                    16s                     5:47 min                    0:56 min                                4:22 min
    amd 5600g                   NVME/8GB         8.5s         0:37 min                  10.5s                     3:27 min                    0:41 min                                2:55 min
    intel i7 14600 (14th gen)   NVME/32GB        5.5s         0:18 min                     7s                     1:57 min                    0:23 min                                1:35 min
Used latest available beta and windows.

I was planning in buy 13600K at future , because 14600K and 13600K don't have enough differences in the reviews. Unless if ,considering only Game Maker compile , it has a relevant difference.

Stra

I was planning in buy 13600K at future , because 14600K and 13600K don't have enough differences in the reviews. Unless if ,considering only Game Maker compile , it has a relevant difference.
I was thinking the same thing, but both processors had practically an identical price, so I chose the newest one (which is also slightly faster).