#Time2MeetYourMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Drewster

I wouldn't worry about pricing too much. YoYoGames should realize that their customers don't make high budget AAA games with their engine and should price it accordingly.
That's why I was thinking maybe a multi-level subscription. Some base level that's free that gives you something usable. Then a main paid level that gives what most people want. Then a supercool one. I don't know, maybe that doesn't make sense. The business model up until know has been individual one-off purchases, which I imagine will bring a lot more money in at once, but subscriptions bring in more overall. Maybe that's the ticket -- BUY and then pay for ongoing updates or something. I'm sure there's some combination of numbers in there that will work for most.

Either way, I'm anxious/excited to see it! :)

F

FabioF

That's why I was thinking maybe a multi-level Subscription....
Either way, I'm anxious/excited to see it! :)
The one time payment is a good solution for people that make games but not money. The Subscription model is good for companies/indie that have a good income and can pay monthly without problems.

Anyway i hope in a better product with an extension system able to setup third party apis without the need to wait them for new updates, and a in a new and modern IDE.

C

CedSharp

NOTE: This is only an opinion, i am not by any means trying to make what I say true. Please keep that in mind :D

The subscription model I think would best fit GameMaker, taking the very vast target involved, would a double pricing system.
Basically, the current one price lifetime license would be kept, because many people rather own what they buy.

But also a subscription model, specially offering low payment rates on large period of time.

First, this lets people like me, who don't make money out of GameMaker, a chance to use all of its features ( including modules )
for a very low price.

Second, if for whatever reason you can't use GameMaker anymore ( or don't want to because a new better app came out ) then you can cancel your subscription.
You won't have paid an insane amount of money for an app that you won't be using anymore.

Third, and this is the important part, I feel most people are afraid of subscription models
because they think they will end up giving more money than if they actually bought the product in a one-payment lifetime license.
If the subscription would actually stop once you've reached the equivalent of the one-shot payment, that would probably remove
completly this fear of paying more than the worth.

This is what I think would work best for GameMaker ( and mind me, I have 0 knowledge of money or business, I'm talking as a simple consumer ):
1. Offer the same current "static" price for lifetime license
2. Offer equivalent licenses through subscriptions that actually end when the said price is reached.

Note that by nature, a subscription only allows you to use the producs, it is by no mean "yours" until you've reached
the said equivalent final price. But for someone like me, who uses gamemaker from time to time just for fun, to be able to pay something like 10-20$ per month
over the laps of about 5 years is a lot better, to me, than paying a huge chunk of 800$ in one go. Specially knowing I can cancel my subscription anytime I want
if I plan on stopping using gamemaker for an indefinit period of time.

Hopefully this would please most people out there.
I have no idea if this is feasible in practice tho.
I saw this system in Parakeet-IDE 2 and really liked it.

( note: I've talked with the developper of parakeet over IRC the day they released parakeet. This is how I actually fell in love with their pricing system )

Regards,
Cedsharp

C

CedSharp

This is actually entertaining to read. I just got my popcorn out and I'm reading through several pages :)
ikr, I did the same up to the page 13 ( then there was nothing else, I've seen everything else through by notifications haha )

D

Drewster

The one time payment is a good solution for people that make games but not money. The Subscription model is good for companies/indie that have a good income and can pay monthly without problems.

Anyway i hope in a better product with an extension system able to setup third party apis without the need to wait them for new updates, and a in a new and modern IDE.
For what it's worth, the current incarnation of 1.4 makes it pretty easy to set up 3rd party APIs without waiting for updates. For example, if you grab the Google Mobile Ads extension, it's pretty easy to update the AdMob SDK within.

Juju

Sure, let me just go muck around for an hour searching through old threads
The onus is on you to provide some kind of backing, not the rest of us.

some rando
raises eyebrows

Novice-level users around here tend to be young with little to no disposable income.
I wonder how many parents are buying their kids GM nowadays. Certainly happened with me when GM first went to paid (GM6? £5?).

Nallebeorn

Wait, that video was actually legitimate? I wonder if that's what they'll post today, or if we'll get another picture. We haven't seen anything of the DnD yet, for example, but that was apparently included in the video.

Bingdom

Googledom
If you look at one of the Reddit posts, the video was uploaded on October 18th. Must've recently been leaked or "accidently" set to public. ;)

JacPete

If you look at one of the Reddit posts, the video was uploaded on October 18th. Must've recently been leaked or "accidently" set to public. ;)
just keep the mass entertained xD whish i could do some kind of this marketing magic they use.

m0zzy

As much as im so hyped for the new GMS2, i just know it will interupt the workflow of the game im working on at the moment .!!
Idealy all the info and price today, but dont let us buy it yet .. ;)

R

risa401

Ultra hyped even though I only saw the Drag 'n Drop video (from a guy that has downloaded it). Finally my friend will be able to use it, too! And maybe even get to Game Maker coding and later maybe Help 'n Stuff (get it? well, damn I'm awkward I know). I really hope there is atleast a free version like we have right now!

D

Deleted member 467

Also, all the previous images have posted every Tuesday and Friday so there probably will be another tweet tomorrow. And since it's November now, they can't just keep saying "November" -- so at the very least we should get a proper date.
They still said November :|

G

Greg Squire

They still said November :|
Yep but unfortunately they didn't say "when" in November. :( On the bright side, it can only be at most 29 more days (unless they also mean November 2017, but if that's the case the pitch forks would start coming out ;)).

G

Greg Squire

I do also like the look of the new Drag-N-Drop stuff. Very sweet! Almost makes me want to use them (I'm a coder, so I only use GML). Nice to see that they won't be leaving the beginners and hobbyists in the dust. This look like it will be a tool for all skill levels.

N

NPT

Also, all the previous images have posted every Tuesday and Friday so there probably will be another tweet tomorrow. And since it's November now, they can't just keep saying "November" -- so at the very least we should get a proper date.
Under what form of logic would it no longer be correct for YYGs to keep hinting at November?

J

Jaqueta

It's kinda sad to see keyboard and gamepad functions separated.
I would love to see something more similar to Unreal, where you define an input value (like mv_left), and then the player can remap this to any key/button/analog/trigger/thing he want.

Of course this can be achieved with a little bit of code, but, having this built-in would save a lot of time.

GMWolf

aka fel666
It's kinda sad to see keyboard and gamepad functions separated.
I would love to see something more similar to Unreal, where you define an input value (like mv_left), and then the player can remap this to any key/button/analog/trigger/thing he want.

Of course this can be achieved with a little bit of code, but, having this built-in would save a lot of time.
Or a system like unity's axis would be cool too.
Again, nothing a bit of code cant fix.

A

Andy

I wounder if the D&D and code really will be separated, and why they would do that. The interface looks nice so far. I wish I had not missed the video before it was set to private. :p

hippyman

I don't even mean to sound disrespectful, but this is a terrible marketing strategy in my opinion. "Let's get everybody completely irritated right before we release any valuable information."

....Sounds like a great idea.

XanthorXIII

I'm sick of this hype. It was fun for the first couple weeks. Now they're just dragging their knuckles. Give a release date or GTFO.
Being mad about it now isn't going to get them to release it any sooner. You're just going to frustrate yourself and make moderators unhappy. By the screenshots it looks like we may be able to import games in so if you have a copy of GMS 1 do some work in there for a bit. I got a game I'm working on right now in it.

hippyman

You're just going to frustrate yourself and make moderators unhappy.
You act like moderators are mighty forum Gods. They're just like us... people on the forum. They won't care that I have a negative opinion on how this is being handled. I'd be willing to bet a few of them are as upset as I am. It's frustrating because it just feels like somebody toying with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.