1. Hey! Guest! The 36th GMC Jam will take place between February 27th, 12:00 UTC - March 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

#Time2MeetYourMaker

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by Nocturne, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

Because one of the images had the tag of "November". So tomorrow is very hopeful, but I will just be glad if it is any time in the next couple of weeks.

2. Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn Member

Also, all the previous images have posted every Tuesday and Friday so there probably will be another tweet tomorrow. And since it's November now, they can't just keep saying "November" -- so at the very least we should get a proper date.

3. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Thats a good point. Though i would expect it to be later, say, on the 15th. YYG wouldn't miss GM's birthday. Would they?

Overloaded likes this.
  4. Lgmsfan

Lgmsfan Guest

thats cool if game makers birthday is the 15th i didnt know that are we talking gms birthday or legacy the start of all things gm

5. uelsimon

uelsimon Member

all of a sudden...December can't come quickly enough

6. XanthorXIII

XanthorXIII Member

Happy Halloween Guys!!! Super Excited for tomorrow <Wink> <Wink>
    Yes got something in my eye again....

Andy and TonyChan like this.
  7. TonyChan

TonyChan Guest

excited! november is coming!

8. CedSharp

CedSharp Member

I might be completly wrong, but from what I can see, the interface completly changed and some cool new features seems to have been added.
    Based on that, we all can agree that this won't be a small update to gamemaker, but a major huge one. ( if it is still studio ).

Based on that, I think it is fair to assume this means gamemaker will finally reach version 2. So it doesn't fit in the 1.x range.
    It doesn't show on the current website, but on a previous website from yoyogames, it said that you woud get only modules from version 1.x

Proof:
    [​IMG]

( last line )

Based on that, if the new GameMaker does indeed allow us to have the new version, we won't on the otherhand be able to have
    the new modules ( if there are any ).

I also think that the new GameMaker, supposedly being rewritten in a complete different language, will be a different software,
    and hence it will not be an update to the current GameMaker studio.

Again, all of those are suppositions of mine based on facts that I've read and saw.
    Let's just not expect too much from the new version in regards of those points

CedSharp

9. ShubhamBansod

ShubhamBansod Member

Its November now!! Any good News :)

10. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

YYG is based in scotland (As i understand...).
    Its still monday over here.

Zerb Games likes this.
  11. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Are you asian or australian by any chance?

12. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Member

Maybe I am the only one who is not in big excitement. Maybe because I understand the new version will not make the game itself. And I am still rewriting my game from Gamemaker 8. The only thing I miss seriously in GMS 1.x is good and easy group pathfinding for noobs :)

13. CedSharp

CedSharp Member

If you were really curious, you coul've checked his profile and see that he is from india

14. NPT

NPT Guest

You're kidding?

That's some disconnect, inferring that you're one of the few not showing exitement because you understand the new version won't make the game itself.

Calm down everybody. Contrary to popular belief, GM:S 2 will not make your games for you. Despite the teasers suggesting it will. Move along, there's nothing to see here. You will have to continue making games yourselves.

Nocturne and gamible like this.
  15. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Actually I here it will even make you coffee in the morning. I'm pretty excited about that!

Seriously though, I think there is a lot of improvements to be made over GMS:1.4 and therefore, a lit of excitement to be had over whatever is to come.

16. Drewster

Drewster Member

That's why I was thinking maybe a multi-level subscription. Some base level that's free that gives you something usable. Then a main paid level that gives what most people want. Then a supercool one. I don't know, maybe that doesn't make sense. The business model up until know has been individual one-off purchases, which I imagine will bring a lot more money in at once, but subscriptions bring in more overall. Maybe that's the ticket -- BUY and then pay for ongoing updates or something. I'm sure there's some combination of numbers in there that will work for most.

Either way, I'm anxious/excited to see it! :)

17. FabioF

FabioF Member

The one time payment is a good solution for people that make games but not money. The Subscription model is good for companies/indie that have a good income and can pay monthly without problems.

Anyway i hope in a better product with an extension system able to setup third party apis without the need to wait them for new updates, and a in a new and modern IDE.

18. CedSharp

CedSharp Member

NOTE: This is only an opinion, i am not by any means trying to make what I say true. Please keep that in mind :D

The subscription model I think would best fit GameMaker, taking the very vast target involved, would a double pricing system.
    Basically, the current one price lifetime license would be kept, because many people rather own what they buy.

But also a subscription model, specially offering low payment rates on large period of time.

First, this lets people like me, who don't make money out of GameMaker, a chance to use all of its features ( including modules )
    for a very low price.

Second, if for whatever reason you can't use GameMaker anymore ( or don't want to because a new better app came out ) then you can cancel your subscription.
    You won't have paid an insane amount of money for an app that you won't be using anymore.

Third, and this is the important part, I feel most people are afraid of subscription models
    because they think they will end up giving more money than if they actually bought the product in a one-payment lifetime license.
    If the subscription would actually stop once you've reached the equivalent of the one-shot payment, that would probably remove
    completly this fear of paying more than the worth.

This is what I think would work best for GameMaker ( and mind me, I have 0 knowledge of money or business, I'm talking as a simple consumer ):
    1. Offer the same current "static" price for lifetime license
    2. Offer equivalent licenses through subscriptions that actually end when the said price is reached.

Note that by nature, a subscription only allows you to use the producs, it is by no mean "yours" until you've reached
    the said equivalent final price. But for someone like me, who uses gamemaker from time to time just for fun, to be able to pay something like 10-20$ per month
    over the laps of about 5 years is a lot better, to me, than paying a huge chunk of 800$ in one go. Specially knowing I can cancel my subscription anytime I want
    if I plan on stopping using gamemaker for an indefinit period of time.

Hopefully this would please most people out there.
    I have no idea if this is feasible in practice tho.
    I saw this system in Parakeet-IDE 2 and really liked it.

( note: I've talked with the developper of parakeet over IRC the day they released parakeet. This is how I actually fell in love with their pricing system )

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Cedsharp

19. gamible

gamible Guest

This is actually entertaining to read. I just got my popcorn out and I'm reading through several pages :)

Drewster and CedSharp like this.
  20. CedSharp

CedSharp Member

ikr, I did the same up to the page 13 ( then there was nothing else, I've seen everything else through by notifications haha )

21. Drewster

Drewster Member

For what it's worth, the current incarnation of 1.4 makes it pretty easy to set up 3rd party APIs without waiting for updates. For example, if you grab the Google Mobile Ads extension, it's pretty easy to update the AdMob SDK within.

22. TonyChan

TonyChan Guest

well, what time is it?

23. Barvix

Barvix Member

Adventure Time?

renex and Nocturne like this.
  24. uelsimon

uelsimon Member

NOT #TimeToMeetYourMaker .... clearly :(

Jaqueta likes this.
  25. XanthorXIII

XanthorXIII Member

They're asleep guys. Gotta let them wake up and have some tea first! Can't expect them to be awake all night. Poor Mike has probably been working all day. He had to work Saturday as well!!

26. Juju

Juju Member

The onus is on you to provide some kind of backing, not the rest of us.

raises eyebrows

I wonder how many parents are buying their kids GM nowadays. Certainly happened with me when GM first went to paid (GM6? £5?).

27. ShubhamBansod

ShubhamBansod Member

Lol :p

28. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

The onus is only on me if I actually care whether or not you believe me. I don't. Take my (true) statement or leave it. I have no obligation to correct your ignorance. :p

29. Gleeb

Gleeb Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  30. Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn Member

Wait, that video was actually legitimate? I wonder if that's what they'll post today, or if we'll get another picture. We haven't seen anything of the DnD yet, for example, but that was apparently included in the video.

31. Bingdom

Bingdom Googledom

If you look at one of the Reddit posts, the video was uploaded on October 18th. Must've recently been leaked or "accidently" set to public. ;)

32. JacPete

JacPete Member

just keep the mass entertained xD whish i could do some kind of this marketing magic they use.

33. Zonacas

Zonacas Member

private video :(

someone has a copy of the video?

34. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Why do you think its private ^^
    These forums are probably not the best place to ask...

35. Mick

Mick Member

There were four videos, I watched them a few minutes before they became private.

36. CedSharp

CedSharp Member

Awn man I can't believe they did that while I was sleeping.

37. m0zzy

m0zzy Member

As much as im so hyped for the new GMS2, i just know it will interupt the workflow of the game im working on at the moment .!!
    Idealy all the info and price today, but dont let us buy it yet .. ;)

38. XanthorXIII

XanthorXIII Member

Woot November! I am Mega Nuclear Excited for this!

39. risa401

risa401 Member

Ultra hyped even though I only saw the Drag 'n Drop video (from a guy that has downloaded it). Finally my friend will be able to use it, too! And maybe even get to Game Maker coding and later maybe Help 'n Stuff (get it? well, damn I'm awkward I know). I really hope there is atleast a free version like we have right now!

40. Nallebeorn

Nallebeorn Member

41. NazGhuL

NazGhuL NazTaiL

D&D. So better chance to have a fair price for hobbyist. (Imo)

42. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

D&D actually looks kinda professional now xD

43. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

Thx, and that explains ;D

44. risa401

risa401 Member

Look at dem gamepad functions!

45. Barvix

Barvix Member

They still said November :|

46. Greg Squire

Greg Squire Guest

Yep but unfortunately they didn't say "when" in November. :( On the bright side, it can only be at most 29 more days (unless they also mean November 2017, but if that's the case the pitch forks would start coming out ;)).

47. Greg Squire

Greg Squire Guest

I do also like the look of the new Drag-N-Drop stuff. Very sweet! Almost makes me want to use them (I'm a coder, so I only use GML). Nice to see that they won't be leaving the beginners and hobbyists in the dust. This look like it will be a tool for all skill levels.

gamible likes this.
  48. NPT

NPT Guest

Under what form of logic would it no longer be correct for YYGs to keep hinting at November?

49. Ninja

Ninja Member

Glad to see DnD gamepad support :)

ShubhamBansod likes this.
  50. Jaqueta

Jaqueta Member

It's kinda sad to see keyboard and gamepad functions separated.
    I would love to see something more similar to Unreal, where you define an input value (like mv_left), and then the player can remap this to any key/button/analog/trigger/thing he want.

Of course this can be achieved with a little bit of code, but, having this built-in would save a lot of time.

RichHopefulComposer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.