• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Time Stop Delay

H

Haomaru

Hello guys, I came here to ask your help in the idea of a delay effect that I'm working on and i what your idea so I can create something good.

So what I'm looking for is like in many games (Momodora si what I'm aiming for) when there is a collision, the game create a really tiny delay that makes you feel more thickness on the hit and gives cool effect. How would i achieve this?

I did something like that but was doing the frames of the room going down and my game runs at 60. Is it good idea to lower the frames just to give that feel or there is other ways?

In the collision with the enemy I have a set of instructions so i was thinking that here is where I activate the effect:

Code:
///Collision Event
if (!hurt) {
  hp -= 1;

hurtAnimation = true;
  alarm[4] = 8;

levitate = true;

//get hurt
  hurt = true;
  alarm[1] = 20;

//blend color hurt 
  hurtColor = true;
  alarm[2] = 4;

//shake
  scr_shake_screen(5,4);

//FX
  impact = instance_create(x,y,objImpact);
  impact.image_xscale = 0.85;
  impact.image_yscale = 0.85;
  //create Bubbles
  repeat(5 + random(4)) {
    bub = instance_create(x,y,objBubble) 
    bub.image_xscale = 0.50;
    bub.image_yscale = 0.50;

}
}
Hope I explain myself good. thank you for your help!

S

Supercoder

Decreasing from 60 fps shouldn't be terrible. 24 fps was mainly used in movies and shows relatively smoothly. As long as you stay above that I wouldn't expect it to look too choppy. However, depending on how long the slowdown lasts, it might seem jerky or unnatural. The smoothness of motion would be effected, as well as the speed the game reacts to user input.

So it should work as long as it isn't too excessive. The only other way I can think of to do this is to increase the alarms of every object, manually slow down every object, etc., which would be a huge undertaking on an already in progress game.

H

Haomaru

Ok thank you for the idea. I created something simple, a variable called stopTime and that when activates has an alarm that for a very short time lower the fps of my game. the game still runs at 60, 59 ofr 1 sec and goes up to 60 so i think it works!

thank you for the idea and for answering me!