• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Graphics Tiles disorientated

I

Ian

So these are tiles ATM (except the ground) and in the first one its pixel perfect the other is not. No scaling has been done, and is when the view moves. Only affects tiles not objects :/

Obviously rounding the view movement can fix it but can someone explain this?

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerX

The only explanation is see is that the view can move at sub-pixel precision. Which I still find wierd. I never round the view position in my game and I never get this.

How do get the image on the left? Is it that on the left you use no views and on the right you're using views??

I

Ian

The only explanation is see is that the view can move at sub-pixel precision. Which I still find wierd. I never round the view position in my game and I never get this.

How do get the image on the left? Is it that on the left you use no views and on the right you're using views??

Finding the sweet spots. These are completely static tiles and only affects them not objects

RangerX

How is this the problem? There's no apparent spacing/lines between the tiles.

Finding the sweet spots. These are completely static tiles and only affects them not objects

Give me some info about your game:

viewsize ?
portsize ?
application surface size?
fullscreen or windowed?
your monitor's resolution this GIF was taken from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The OP said it:

No scaling has been done, and is when the view moves. Only affects tiles not objects :/

Obviously rounding the view movement can fix it but can someone explain this?
By not rounding the view, you are forcing the GPU to "choose" which half pixel it should draw. By smearing the edges of the tiles, this will always be chosen correctly.

RangerX

The OP said it:

By not rounding the view, you are forcing the GPU to "choose" which half pixel it should draw. By smearing the edges of the tiles, this will always be chosen correctly.

I get you now. Didn't saw it that way. Would be a nice solution to take if he doesn't have alot of tileset already made (or maybe he can use tileset champion --- wich still mystify me for whatever reason)
If he doesn't want to touch up the tileset and maybe re-tile rooms though, he might want to round the views coordinate though.

I

Ian

So rounding the view is the best solution? Ive been using tiles in GM rudimentary just for tests so not a whole lot of tiles in the level. Just cutting em from the sprite sheets then fitting to image w/ its wxh and 0 for the pad/sep. Tried out the champion, didnt work.

Edit:
@RangerX all of those are set at 1280x720 w/ monitor @ 1920x1080 || Windowed although if one of those were the problems, the object sprites would be affected as well

Jezla

Don't forget you need to replace all of the existing tiles with the new tiles from Tileset Champion.

I

Ian

Why not? What happened? I've been using it for all my tile stuff for a while now and never had issues...
Step by step:
Just loaded the img and addressed its details:

Generated:

Reloading the new img and applying the new settings:

Effect:

Might be the way the tile is being made; I trimmed the img 0 pixels around the tent (became 412x130) then i loaded it into the champion.

Khao

Shouldn't this get fixed by simply doing "view_xview=floor(view_xview[0])" and "view_yview=floor(view_yview[0])"?

Jezla

Did you place a new tile in the room, though? Changing the background typeset settings won't affect tiles that have already been placed. You have to delete the old tiles and place the new ones.

I

Ian

Did you place a new tile in the room, though? Changing the background typeset settings won't affect tiles that have already been placed. You have to delete the old tiles and place the new ones.
It seems to be fixed :/ once i created another room both tents in test room and the regular were fixed. Weird but im not complaining, thanks for that advice @Jezla and @Nocturne !

Jezla

You're welcome! Huh. Just noticed that my post said "typeset" instead of "tileset." I hate autocomplete...

Reactions: Ian
I

Ian

You're welcome! Huh. Just noticed that my post said "typeset" instead of "tileset." I hate autocomplete...
Why not? What happened? I've been using it for all my tile stuff for a while now and never had issues...
Seem to have spoke too soon:

So the tent seems to be fixed but did some testing on the 'wooden spike wall' and it tears :/ used the same process as the tent tile.

Heres the sprite if you want to test it out with champion. Its trimmed to 1 pixel of negative space on each side: https://www.mediafire.com/?h97j01h53vcyn9t

I really appreciate you guys helping, im probably just going at it all wrong.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Remove the 0 alpha pixels from around the edges and then let tileset champion smear them, OR if the image is simply being used "as is" (ie: a single image and not part of a larger tile sheet), un-tick the tile horizontal/vertical options in the background properties.

I

Ian

Remove the 0 alpha pixels from around the edges and then let tileset champion smear them, OR if the image is simply being used "as is" (ie: a single image and not part of a larger tile sheet), un-tick the tile horizontal/vertical options in the background properties.
Just did both and nothing. I have to be doing something wrong.

I

Ian

Nothing? I wouldnt mind using objects as the tiles but it is more expensive than tiles.

Here are 2 images the same. Right is object; Left is a tile. The bottom quarter of the left you will see tearing.