• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Tilemap Size?

R

Reaxgrim

Is there a way to make a certain tilemap layer larger than the room size?

so i can stop any gaps at the edges if i offset a tilemap layer.

Just wondering. would save having to make another layer underneath it and offsetting the other direction just to fix any gaps.

Thanks for any info.
- Reax

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Not via the IDE, but I think you can if you make it dynamically at runtime,

You could offset it backwards, and then make your room a little smaller than the bounds though. That way you'll never see the edges.

R

Reaxgrim

You could offset it backwards, and then make your room a little smaller than the bounds though. That way you'll never see the edges.
how would i make the room smaller? daft question i know
as when u change room size in the editor it rescales the tilemap cells to match?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
sorry, if you want a room of 1000x1000. Make it 1200,1200 (say), and then put all the content in the middle. Then when moving around, do your own bounds checking and lock it to the middle area.

R

Reaxgrim

sorry, if you want a room of 1000x1000. Make it 1200,1200 (say), and then put all the content in the middle. Then when moving around, do your own bounds checking and lock it to the middle area.
Ah yeah i get ya. i had thought of doing this as one of the solutions. was just not sure if it was the "correct way" heh. i really need to stop doubting if am doing something correctly and just go with if it works it works :)
Ta for the replys.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Meh... there's hardly ever a "correct" way in games. There's whats fast, and what works :)