• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics tilemap movement

H

henshin1

Hi all,

Im trying to solve an issue I have and I wouldn't mind some feedback from experienced game makers. I'm creating an action RPG where a player object walks through rooms that have been drawn using tilesets.

In one of my rooms, there are small platforms where the player can dash from one platform to another (much like hyper light drifer and how the hero dashes from platform to platform). What I would like to do however is have the platforms appear to hover up and down slowly as if they were floating. This would mean that collision objects on the platform would also have to move with the platform aswell.

Is it possible to accomplish such a task using tilesets?

G

Guest User

is the game in profile or 3/4ths view? i'd make it an object instead of a tile collision personally. this way, i could add all sorts of stupid gimmicky physics like having it tip to one side when the player is not above it's center-of-mass, having it float up and down a bit like you said, etc..

but you could have the actual platform be an animated tile and just have the collision object be invisible if all it's going to do is float in place.